• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eastern Market Ravaged By Fire

I wanted to post this threat to inform out of towners about the fire that almost took down our beloved Eastern Market. It is still standing, but it is gutted. I am from Philadlephia (and love Reading Terminal), and have grown to love my visits to the Hill on Sat. mornings. What with Murky Coffee and some bluebucks/crabcake benedict at Market Lunch, how could it NOT be a good day? I will have to find another butcher from whom to buy my flat irons and hangar steaks, another cheese vendor and another REAL DC place for breakfast. I hope that the vendors will have a temporary home while the market is rebuilt.

In case you're visiting, I can't tell you when or where to expect to see the vendors yet. But, hopefull this thread will be updated with information about the re-birth of the Eastern Market.

http://www.nbc4.com/news/13219919/detail.html

http://www.nbc4.com/news/13219919/detail.html

Edited by monavano (log)

Looks like the restaurant/bar community is coming together to help: tonight a whole slew of eating and drinking spots on the Hill will be contributing a percentage of their gross to the restoration effort.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 3 months later...

Not sure this needed a new thread, so I'm posting about the reopening of Eastern Market here. The new temporary building is open, spacious and bright. Lots of community turned out for the ribbon cutting and to patronize the merchants in their new digs! It was really a great morning for DC.

See full report here.

Edited by monavano (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I made it to the reconstituted Eastern Market over Labor Day weekend, to pick up some onglets at my favorite butcher, Union Meats. The ambiance has certainly changed dramatically -- I kind of miss the grungy din -- and the crowds seemed diminished.

Good to see everyone open, though. I hear the Market Lunch is back open these days, as well.

gallery_7296_5130_67361.jpg

gallery_7296_5130_283378.jpg

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I need to get back to Union Meats for a nice hangar, or maybe an onglet. Market Lunch looks promising. I wonder if they have any new additions to the menu.

Market Lunch opened today and I got breakfast there. Well, I got it as takeout: a scrapple-egg-and cheese sandwich that was really good. I put some ketchup on it when I got it home.

The menu looks different to me, but I had pretty much given up on trying to read the old one. Usually all I got was eggs and potatoes. Oddly enough (and maybe it's just my perception), while some of the old "ambiance" was gone, I thought the food was actually better. That could just be a totally subjective bias. I'll wait to see what others say.

Did they have NC BBQ on the old menu?

I need to get back to Union Meats for a nice hangar, or maybe an onglet. Market Lunch looks promising. I wonder if they have any new additions to the menu.

Market Lunch opened today and I got breakfast there. Well, I got it as takeout: a scrapple-egg-and cheese sandwich that was really good. I put some ketchup on it when I got it home.

The menu looks different to me, but I had pretty much given up on trying to read the old one. Usually all I got was eggs and potatoes. Oddly enough (and maybe it's just my perception), while some of the old "ambiance" was gone, I thought the food was actually better. That could just be a totally subjective bias. I'll wait to see what others say.

Did they have NC BBQ on the old menu?

I don't remember seeing that. Scrapple and ketchup, perfect. :smile:

Scrapple and ketchup, perfect. :smile:

I love scrapple with ketchup. I don't normally put ketchup on eggs, but I don't mind it either. I quite liked that sandwich. I don't think I've had scrapple in a sandwich before. It works :wub: .

The line at Market Lunch this morning is rather substantial. Looks like old times.

The outside produce, etc., vendors don't seem to be getting very much business with the market open across the street. The farmers line outside the closed market was sparsely populated this morning and has been the times I've been there since the reopening.