• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vino Volo Airport Wine Bars

Chris Amirault

While I was walking around terminal C in Dulles recently, I happened to see a very strange sight indeed: a small corner shop, with the sign "Vino Volo" outside, all framed off by wooden slats and looking, well, like the sort of oasis most airports utterly lack.

I went inside, walked through to the seating area, and plunked down in an overstuffed chair across from another traveler. When the server, Pam, came by, I got to talking, and over the course of our conversation I learned quite a bit. Turns out Pam is Pamela Seaton, the general manager of the Dulles location.

Vino Volo has locations in DC, Seattle, BWI, and Sacramento, and anyone serious about wine would do well to rout through those cities and visit them. I'm not a serious wine nut, but I'm not too dense, and for me the wine selections were very intelligent, well-described, and very well handled. Each glass comes with a coaster that includes information about the wine, and you can buy bottles or cases as well as rate the wines. In addition, they served small plates that looked very good indeed, simple but quality stuff that could be easily prepared in what looked like a very small prep kitchen.

I had outstanding marinated olives with a 2004 Chateau Miraval cabernet/syrah blend that really hit the spot, particularly on a very harried and stressful travel day. And given my other choices -- Wendy's, horrible bar food with no interesting beer or cocktail possibilities -- it was a godsend.

Has anyone else hit Vino Volo? What have your experiences been like?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I've read about the one here in Sacramento, but haven't had the chance to visit, since the last airplane ride was to a business meeting, and drinking wine beforehand (with the whole city of co-workers in the airport) would probably not be prudent. I am anxious to go the next time for a pleasure trip.

• 4 months later...

ours in Seattle is nice, we had some nibbles and a flight before a flight recently :biggrin:

929827149_58916a96d5.jpg

929827789_ecf5ba321d.jpg

And given my other choices -- Wendy's, horrible bar food with no interesting beer or cocktail possibilities -- it was a godsend.

I am assuming you mean the fast food joint and not my house where we serve very nice bar food and cocktails! :raz:

I was fortunate enough to be in Baltimore in april on that location's second day of operations... I had read about it previously in saveur I believe. The wines were all of excellent quality, eclectic and very well priced.. The food was... considering my options, excellent... Duck confit with frisee and beluga lentils and some cheeses. I dont recall the glasses very much. I believe a gruner veltliner and rioja. I bought a fine Austrian pinot grigio and "The Terraces" 04 Zinfandel for my ensuing trip, both of phenomenal quality. Good conversation with the server/manager. Great option for foodies and wine enthusiasts in an airport, and I guess that is the point.