• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serving 25 people

Kim Shook

My daughter's University service organization has ordered a large decorated cake from me for their end of year party. I do a little home baking to order on the side and am not by any means a pro. The only cakes that I ever have made are regular layer cakes. This has to serve 25 people, so I guess that I will have to do a sheet cake of some kind. I was thinking that I could do a 2 layer 13x9 inch. Flop the top layer so I have a nice flat top to decorate.

So - will this work? Do you think that it will feed 25? Or should I just make 3 one layer 13x9's?

Thanks, y'all! Kim

I think a two-layer 9x13 should be fine for 25 people - especially if we're talking about a cake that will be 3-4" tall.

Look at it this way - if they cut 2"x2" pieces, you'll have 24 even servings plus several 1" extras out of that 9x13 cake. And a 2"x2" piece is a large-sized serving - most "party serving" charts I've seen use a 1.5"x2" sized piece for their estimates. If you use that size to estimate your servings, you'll get 36 even pieces out of a 9x13, with a little left over.

A level, flat top is definitely good :smile: What kind of decorations will you be doing?

A layered 9x13 will be perfect. Remember that some will not have cake so they'll probably have leftovers. If you use magi-strips or a cake leveller then you won't have to "flop the top" over. Have fun!

Oh, just had a thought. I'm not really a cake decorator I'm more into desserts but when I've done cakes for showers I do a couple things different than what you see in the store. First of all, when there's going to be mainly ladies I don't ice the sides. I make sure my layers are even and I put a nicely coloured mousse in between. Like a 3 layer yellow cake with raspberry mousse or a chocolale cake with a white chocolate espresso mousse. Then I mark the serving size on top and decorate each piece individually. Being that this dessert is celebrating everyone and not just one person, it might be nice to do this way. It's sort of like making individual desserts. Every plate will look good.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

The layered 13x9's works great for a crowd that size. I usually split them and do it as 4 thinner layers so I can increase the cake to filling/icing ratio which seems to make people happy but that's not a necessity.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you bake 2 layers in sheet pans then you won't have to split any cake, just ice in between and then ice the outside as you wish. Home size sheet pans are about 11 x 16 depending, so you'll have a bit of a larger cake and will be sure not to run out.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

If you bake 2 layers in sheet pans then you won't have to split any cake, just ice in between and then ice the outside as you wish. Home size sheet pans are about 11 x 16 depending, so you'll have a bit of a larger cake and will be sure not to run out.

All I have are half sheet pans, much larger than 11 x 16. Maybe I can find disposable ones that size. Thanks, Tweety!

Kim

If it's going to be out on a buffet table, why not try to wow them with a tiered cake!

DON"T PANIC! It's not hard. Make two 8 inch rounds, and 2 6 inch rounds.

Frost as you normally would, and let them chill really well in the fridge. Dowel (again, don't get scared) with 6 sturdy plastic drinking straws in a nice 4 inch circle in the cake. Carefully center the 6 inch cake on top of the 9 inch round. Pound one big dowel through the whole cake and voila!

Tiered cake! Decorate with all the Greek letters.

You'll be the star of the party, and thrilled with yourself that you've done it.

It's really not hard, it just sounds intimidating...dowels and such. I was terrified when I was in

culinary school, and I mean terrified. Now, I've made a business out of it.

You can do it!

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

onetoughcookie - I wasn't able to do it that way (I had to have the cake by Saturday and so I didn't see your post in time), but you've given me courage. I am going to do a tiered cake sometime.

I ended up doing a two layer 13x9 and there was leftover cake. I also did a batch of chocolate cupcakes for those who must have chocolate. I had to take a shortcut - I had it in my head that the cakes were needed Sunday night. They were actually needed Saturday afternoon:shock: . I realized my mistake Saturday morning. So I used canned frosting that I added 10x to to make it stiffer and easier to decorate with.

I was pretty satisfied with the results, considering that I am a complete 'amachur' :wink: , and the kids thought it was amazing :laugh: :

gallery_34972_3570_874194.jpg

And the cupcakes:

gallery_34972_3570_773469.jpg

Kim