• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alain Ducasse "Grand Livre de Cuisine"

alanamoana

Hey enthusiasts...the Desserts and Pastry volume of Alain Ducasse's beautiful "Grand Livre de Cuisine" is on sale on Amazon for only $58.50...

this is a book that is normally $195!!!

buy it...now!

edited to fix link

Thanks for the heads up Alanamoana. Been wanting to buy that for a long time, making many trips to the library to read it. The price now is just too good to miss buying it! Thanks!

FatGuy, do you remember lending it to us over at CG?

I still don't have it back!!!

That was the French edition, though. I haven't seen the English. In general, I've found that the English versions of Ducasse's books are full of weird language. I think they do too much of the translation without the benefit of truly expert translation services. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd rather muddle through with the amazing French versions -- even with my terrible French, recipes aren't all that hard to comprehend.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I know what you mean about bad translations. But, the pictures and diagrams are still the same. So, if you're a professional, you should be okay with just the list of ingredients and a diagram. It is more of a reference type book for me anyway.

There are similar issues with Jean-Pierre Wybauw's "Fine Chocolate: Great Experience".

At any rate, the Amazon offer is for the English version.

edited to add: FG, I wouldn't hold my breath :wink:

Edited by alanamoana (log)

So, does this book have bad translations? Why is it priced so low? The reviews on Amazon make it seem unsuitable for the practiced amateur... What's the prevailing opinion?

ummm...i'm taking a look at it right now as i just received my copy. i don't think i'd buy it as a practiced amateur. it might just be a little bit too technical (equipment needs, ingredients, etc.).

i consider it a sort of encyclopedia of desserts, pastries, breads, candies, cakes, etc.

i'll post more information after i take a closer look at it.

p.s. i'm actually a professional cook, so i bought it because it suits what i do for a living, if that helps you at all.

I just can't believe that they're offering this book for such a low price. I took a look at it in Vancouver this weekend and they were selling it for something like $200 (Canadian). I'd say it WAY worth the amazon price.

My copy is on it's merry way! :biggrin:

Thanks, Alana!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Just thought I 'd throw this into the mix.

In Europe and at Spanish sites like Liberia Gastronomica there is a pocket sized version of 'Grand Livre desserts..."

Grand Livre pocket edition cheap.

But damn! It does look like that Amazon is selling the big guy for 58 bucks!!!

A couple of things, are the measurements offered in grams, etc or imperial?

I agree with alana, if you know about pastry on a kind of pro-ish level you're going to understand it French or English.

Swell find, thanks everyone ;-)

2317/5000

Hey Ted,

the recipes are in both grams and ounces with the occasional volume measurement thrown in. sort of like other european books, the ingredients are listed off on a side column and the directions are given in the body of the text.

ciao,

alana

I found an error in the first recipe I used. It was for the Chocolate Cream with Vanilla Caramel Ice Cream and Coffee Sabayon. The amount of sugar called for in the chocolate cream is at least twice what it should be. The instructions for the sabayon omit the cooking instructions, at least I've always heated the ingredients. Also the amounts were weird - it says it serves 10, but I ended up with enough cigarette dough for and army.

The next recipe I used was the Tapenade Bread and it was wonderful. As with alot of books, you need to really use your judgement and if something looks off, check another source.

Great pictures and a beautiful book.

Check out the price now; it's gone back up to $157.50 (a little cheaper than the "normal" Amazon 30 per cent discount). Thank goodness I ordered it when alana first posted - thanks for that.

Check out the price now; it's gone back up to $157.50 (a little cheaper than the "normal" Amazon 30 per cent discount). Thank goodness I ordered it when alana first posted - thanks for that.

Grand Livre de Cuisine was always $157.50

Grand Livre de Cuisine: Alain Ducasse's Desserts and Pastries is still $58.50

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

How annoying. This book was still $58.50 when I put it in my cart yesterday, but when I went to order this morning, it's up to $122.85.

ouch!

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

How annoying. This book was still $58.50 when I put it in my cart yesterday, but when I went to order this morning, it's up to $122.85.

That hurts.

I'm relieved that I ordered my copy last week. I had mine in my cart for about a week before I finally purchased it.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

I finally received my book. How beautiful! And yet painful, too, when you realize just how much work goes into making these little masterpieces! :shock:

Still, what a great price while it lasted.

John DePaula
--------------------

• 1 month later...

The great book " Le Grand Livre de Cuisine, Méditerranée ", by Alain Ducasse is at the moment available at www.alain-ducasse.com, for 120 euros.

The former price was more than 200 euros. It is written in french. I think it is a must-have for lovers of the mediterranean countries.