• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cloudberries, fiddleheads etc...how to market

coastie

As the season goes I have access to loads of wild edibles. Laws have recently changed allowing picking by certain people. Cloudberries, fiddleheads, salmon berries, porcini, chicken of the woods ...the list goes on.

I am in remote area and have no idea how the purveyor system works, should I approach individual chef in metro areas or should I go to food distribution companies. Anyone have any suggestions, food would have to be air frieghted costs would be high but quality would be choice. As a chef I use this stuff all the time flavors are amazing. I have no idea how the marketing of such items would/should work?? ( The legality, safety of the plants is not the issue)

Find out what they are called in your neck of the woods, then put a cooler out in front of your home, and make a big sign with some cardboard in black spray paint at the corner. The honor system is where it's at. Otherwise I suppose you can try Craig's or Ebay. I don't really know, I know a guy who markets locally, just takes his cooler around in his truck, and don't think he's really turning a profit. I suppose if you were in an urban environment, or knew some nice restaurants you would at least be able to get some nice meals out of it. Where are you, Pacific NW?

Edited by coquus (log)

I'm in AK. This is really high end food. THe idea is to introduce some cool foods to the market but also to add some income to some of the rural villages. The native woman pick very quickly and now that they eat more western foods they don't use it all and could use the extra income. Laws have been established to protect the plants from overpicking, designating who may pick and where.

I'm thinking I need to find a high end produce vendor that is national. Up here my guy is local. A company like and I can't remember how to spell there name but Roagi specialty porduce ( I think they are national, we are so isolated up here)

Maybe its chef to chef.....I was just asked because I tend to know about food..this has me at a loss but seems like a realy positive way to bring income without changing thier way of life too much and some of things taste so much better or different then what "we" know.

Two specialty produce marketers come to mind that, I believe are national, or at least regional are Melissa's and Frieda's. I'm sure they have web sites. They both carry things that at one point were considered "exotic" even here in the Megalopolis. I saw (and purchased) fiddleheads at Trader Joe's last year. It may be worth giving them a call or an e-mail as well. I don't know how perishable these commodities are (I'd guess fairly....) but they may have insight as to how to get them into their distribution chain. I am pretty sure that the fiddleheads I bought (and loved) last year are not local.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 4 weeks later...
As the season goes I have access to loads of wild edibles. Laws have recently changed allowing picking by certain people. Cloudberries, fiddleheads, salmon berries, porcini, chicken of the woods ...the list goes on.

I am in  remote area and have no idea how the purveyor system works, should I approach individual chef in metro areas or should I go to food distribution companies. Anyone have any suggestions, food would have to be air frieghted costs would be high but quality would be choice. As a chef I use this stuff all the time flavors are amazing. I have no idea how the marketing of such items would/should work?? ( The legality, safety of the plants is not the issue)

Coastie, here is a name and website for you to market your wild edible botanicals.

LEO MONDRAGON

PETERSHAM, MAINE

www.forestharvest.com

Email: leo@forestharvest.com

Phone:(978)724-0208

Leo has a pretty good market in Boston and New York, and could and would help you out as far as buying your products, but quality has to be all #1 grade. Just tell him that Dwight from "Mountain Harvest" in New Brunswick, Canada gave you his info, and if you do cantact Leo, give him a big hello from me.

Dwight in New Brunswick, Canada