• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ferrante Restaurant

sammy

New Italian in Stamford that typifies Fairfield County dining. Nice space, lots of kissing on both cheeks, an owner that everyone seems to know from a previous venture with a terrific wine list and an enticing menu. The owner here is Lenny Lorando, ex-head waiter at Nello in NYC, famous for receiving a $16,000 tip one night.

But it is mediocre at best and quite expensive. Wine service is a joke. They raise expectations with nice decanters but then plop the decanter in different locations (first on our table, then on the table behind us, then with Dick Cheney in a secret undisclosed location).

Starter of seared sea scallops with aged balsamic vinegar with shredded endive in a non-descript vinaigrette was 4 smallish sea scallops seared well but mushy (probably wet scallops) with an ordinary balsamic vinegar on top. Endive was sort of soggy. Then, Snapper Livornese included a droopy, sad filet in a satisfactory sauce. Also, Papardelle Bolognese which was way too tomatoey (should be a word if it isn't), Spaghetti Carbonara that had almost no bacon flavor and some other pasta that was so unmemorable I don't remember what it was.

The place is packed and everybody seems to be saying "If this dinner just cost us $225, it must have been good." It wasn't.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

sammy, thanks for the warning. Your description of the food and problems is detailed and persuasive, and your comment that this typifies Fairfield County dining rings sadly true (with a very few notable exceptions).

In particular, I've tried many "Italian" restaurants in Fairfield County and nearby environs and have finally just about given up hope. (Hope springs eternal, of course, and I'm still planning to try Paci, in Southport, on the recommendations of friends and another eGullet member, fchrisgrimm.)

I did not realize that the kissing on both cheeks was a Fairfield Country thing.

Usually in Greenwich they kiss you on both cheeks take $300+ from your billfold and push you out onto Greenwich Avenue, then a woman yapping on her cell phone, driving a SUV runs you down for good measure.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

I should have clarified, yes, more in Greenwich. Terra comes to mind and of course Valbella.

There was a fair amount of it going on at Ferrante. As Seinfeld would say, "Who are these people?"

sammy, thanks for the warning.  Your description of the food and problems is detailed and persuasive, and your comment that this typifies Fairfield County dining rings sadly true (with a very few notable exceptions).

In particular, I've tried many "Italian" restaurants in Fairfield County and nearby environs and have finally just about given up hope.  (Hope springs eternal, of course, and I'm still planning to try Paci, in Southport, on the recommendations of friends and another eGullet member, fchrisgrimm.)

Our favorite Italian is Siena in Stamford. We usually stick to the pastas with meat (duck ragu, sausage, rabbit, etc) and they have been uniformly good. Seafood starters have been good as well, especially octopus in whatever variation they happen to be serving it on a particular night.

For comparison purposes, Siena, Columbus Park Trattoria and Mona Lisa, are all currently superior to Ferrante.

sammy, thanks for the warning.  Your description of the food and problems is detailed and persuasive, and your comment that this typifies Fairfield County dining rings sadly true (with a very few notable exceptions).

In particular, I've tried many "Italian" restaurants in Fairfield County and nearby environs and have finally just about given up hope.  (Hope springs eternal, of course, and I'm still planning to try Paci, in Southport, on the recommendations of friends and another eGullet member, fchrisgrimm.)

Our favorite Italian is Siena in Stamford. We usually stick to the pastas with meat (duck ragu, sausage, rabbit, etc) and they have been uniformly good. Seafood starters have been good as well, especially octopus in whatever variation they happen to be serving it on a particular night.

For comparison purposes, Siena, Columbus Park Trattoria and Mona Lisa, are all currently superior to Ferrante.

Thanks. I have to admit I haven't sampled Stamford "Italians" in years, so will keep these in mind. I believe I saw a very favorable review of Siena recently -- maybe in the NY Times? I think that's a fairly new place?

Try Liannas on Tunsis Hill Road in Fairfield. She is an ex-Pasta Nostra employee.

She does a nice job, but go during the week. On the weekends you will get rushed.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??