• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York

Headed to NYC, and will be ISO a few things. I would appreciate any direction to stores geared toward chefware and kitchenware and stores that might stock specialty food products. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Sea salts and salt grinder/mill

2. Montasio cheese (I've already checked Artisanal)

3. Chestnut flour (already checked WF and D&D - I found it once at an Italian market at Chelsea Market)

4. Specialty bakeware (e.g. mini loaf pans, etc...)

Thanks in advance!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Headed to NYC, and will be ISO a few things.  I would appreciate any direction to stores geared toward chefware and kitchenware and stores that might stock specialty food products.  Here's what I'm looking for:

2. Montasio cheese  (I've already checked Artisanal)

3. Chestnut flour (already checked WF and D&D - I found it once at an Italian market at Chelsea Market)

Thanks in advance!

u.e.

Definitely check out Broadway Panhandler on 8th street for number 1 and 4 (also conveniently near Otto if you find yourself in need of some olive oil gelato :cool: ).

For 2, maybe check out Murray's on Bleecker.

For 3, Buon Italia (the place in Chelsea Market you mentioned) may indeed have it. Maybe Balducci's, Citarella, or Garden of Eden. I doubt Fairway would have it. I'm surprised you came up empty at both WF and D&D on that one. I'll let you know if any other places come to mind.

Headed to NYC, and will be ISO a few things.  I would appreciate any direction to stores geared toward chefware and kitchenware and stores that might stock specialty food products.  Here's what I'm looking for:

2. Montasio cheese  (I've already checked Artisanal)

Thanks in advance!

u.e.

Okay, so I know it's not in NYC. But a greart source for amazing sea salts (and mills) is Flavorbank.com

WF and D&D actually really suck in terms of selection (among other things)

I favor Kalustians for my hard to find items. The staff actually knows what they have in stock so you can call ahead.

I always wonder aboutt he turnover at Buon Italia...this could just be a hunch though, as my only evidence is a few times I've seen visably bad cheese in their cases.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

WF and D&D actually really suck in terms of selection (among other things)

No kidding. The WF and D&D in Kansas City (yes, amazingly, we have both here), didn't have chestnut flour, but I thought the ones in NY would. No such luck.

I favor Kalustians for my hard to find items. The staff actually knows what they have in stock so you can call ahead.

Where is this?

I always wonder aboutt he turnover at Buon Italia...this could just be a hunch though, as my only evidence is a few times I've seen visably bad cheese in their cases.
It's funny that you say this because the last time I was in Buon Italia, I also wondered the same thing. I did find chestnut flour there, but the reason I decided to ask for another source is because I didn't really care for the overall "feel" of the market - it just didn't seem "fresh." I did, however, check the sell-by date on the back of the package to make sure the flour wasn't overdue or near-overdue.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Kalustyan's is on Lexington Avenue between 27th and 28th Streets...a pretty great resource for flours, spices, bitters, and all sorts of hard-to-find middle-eastern goods.

Here's their website.

DiPalo's might actually have the chestnut flour , but certainly should be called first to find out. Pretty good place for Italian cheeses as well...no problem finding Montasio here.

The Panhandler is a great resource for lots of cookware, but you might also take a walk down the Bowery from Houston St. to Delancey - there are a number of restaurant supply places that offer everything under the sun, including chefware at some of them...at prices below that of the Panhandler.

Bridge Kitchenware is a great resource as well - check it out here.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

There's a store that sells only baking supplies in the low twenties around sixth avenue. Can't remember the name or address but EVERYTHING baking can be found there. I also thought of Di Palo's

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Sounds like UE may get a kick out of JB Prince. Very well stocked on baking equipment, aimed at the industry rather than at the off-the-street public. No visible storefront, hidden if you don't know it's there. Their website is at www.jbprince.com.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Sea salt can be found most anywhere. Zabar's, Kalustyan's, Citarella, Fairway, etc. Salt mills, I'd check Zabar's.

2. Montasio cheese

Fairway, Murray's, Zabar's

3. Chestnut flour

I think you can get this at Citarella. Also possibly at Fairway or Zabar's. I'm sure you can get it at Buon Italia in the Chelsea Markets (more on this below).

4. Specialty bakeware

Bridge Kitchenware and JB Prince (both aimed at the industry), Zabar's.

It's funny that you say this because the last time I was in Buon Italia, I also wondered the same thing. I did find chestnut flour there, but the reason I decided to ask for another source is because I didn't really care for the overall "feel" of the market - it just didn't seem "fresh." I did, however, check the sell-by date on the back of the package to make sure the flour wasn't overdue or near-overdue.

I'm not sure I'd buy produce or a perishable cheese at Buon Italia. But in terms of perishable items, I've bought plenty of flour there (both 00 and chestnut) and I've bought plenty of salumi there (guanciale, etc.), and it's always been in good condition. Mostly, however, I use Buon Italia to buy non-perishable items like dry pasta (they have the best deals in the City on artisanal dry pasta) and jarred goods. I avoid the cheese case anyway, because I can do so much better in other shops. It's not a fancy place, but don't let that put you off.

--

There's a store that sells only baking supplies in the low twenties around sixth avenue.  Can't remember the name or address but EVERYTHING baking can be found there.  I also thought of Di Palo's

New York Cake Supplies. 56 West 22nd Street.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. I have been on to JB Prince's website many times, but have never visited their store front.

New York Cake Supplies also sounds like a great possibility as well.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to report back and say that I found (mostly) what I needed - actually, more than I needed.

I ended up spending way too much money at Broadway Panhandler (after going on a self-imposed goose chase looking for it at its old location). Le Creuset and All-Clad in big boxes on their way to my house via UPS. *gulp* Thanks to the friendly folks at the Scholastic Store for looking up the information for me! :laugh:

Zabar's upstairs is outright claustrophobic, but pretty well-stocked.

Sadly, neither Zabar's nor Panhandler had the mini-loaf pans I was looking for.

I found Montasio cheese - like on every street corner. But, thanks to Nathan, found my way to Di Paolo's in Little Italy where I hauled off with a large wedge. Didn't have time to stop by JBPrince or New York Cake Supplies.

And, dangit, I totally forgot to look for/fetch a ravioli cutter (one of those ice-cube tray types). Next time....

Thanks, again everyone.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Are prices at Broadway Panhandler really good? Last time I looked around their website, prices seemed 'ok' but nothing extraordinary.

-mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Well, in New York City terms, yes, they're reasonable. But what makes them a favorite store is that they're family owned, and the staff are really knowledgeable. The man who owns the place once gave me a really great lesson in how to choose a cooking knife - one of those irreplaceable experiences that you can't have when you're buying things online.

If you are price-conscious and looking for more general pots, pans and utensils, I would definitely hit up Hung Chong Import @ 14 Bowery first and see what you can't get there - they've got a lot more than woks and cleavers there, and most of the stuff is commercial/restaurant-supply-quality - their staff is also very nice and knowledgeable, and it's mind-blowing the variety and inventory they are able to fit into what is actually a pretty big shop by chinatown standards

Are prices at Broadway Panhandler really good?  Last time I looked around their website, prices seemed 'ok' but nothing extraordinary.

-mark-

mark -

Depends heavily on what you're buying at Broadway Panhandler. I'd say that the BP is definitely average overall - even very high with some items. But, across the board, I found them to be on par with other cookware stores. However, I will note that the store is highly competitive in these three areas: knives, Le Crueset, and All-Clad (hence my purchases).

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account