• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue Hill at Stone Barns

NY News Team

Fans of Blue Hill would be happy to know that Mike and Dan, the dynamic duo behind the West Village gem, are currently working on another restaurant. However, for the die hard Manhattanites, the bad news is that it's going to be in Pocantico Hills. The still under construction restaurant, according to Mike, will be located in a converted barn on the premise of the Stone Barns Center . The restaurant will offer the same seasonal menu as Blue Hill in the city, and there will also be a small outdoor cafe for day trippers. Produce for the restaurant will come directly from the Farm. The Stone Barns Center is a not for profit agricultural farm and education center which holds events such as wine tastings, cooking demonstrations and other educational programs. For those who may just want to relax, the place supposedly offers some pretty awesome views of the Hudson. ---Y. Yang

See www.stonebarnscenter.org. for more info.

eGullet.com NY News Team

nynews@egullet.org with press releases, news reports, and food-biz gossip

was this mentioned previously, if not here, then in some publication/media outlet somewhere, or I am having deja vu?

I think the project has been public knowledge for some time and I suspect it may well have been mentioned, but given how much work is involved in this project, I think Mike and Dan were reluctant to make too much about it in public. Has anyone yet mentioned a targeted opening date?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 1 month later...

Spoke to Dan Saturday night at Blue Hill. Target date remains April, 2004.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 months later...

This restaurant from Dan Barber of Blue Hill in NYC is according to The Zagat Wire set to open in Pocantico hills on May 1.

630 Bedford Road; 914-366-9600

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

This restaurant from Dan Barber of Blue Hill in NYC is according to The Zagat Wire set to open in Pocantico hills on May 1.

630 Bedford Road; 914-366-9600

Correction: chefs Dan Barber and Michael Anthony. Michael will be moving to the Sleepy Hollow location.

Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture

I think they will actually be serving some meals before the official opening date, but I don't know how that works.

Also, they are hiring for the new location.

We (chef Betsy and I) returned to Blue Hill last month when I visited NYC. Michael and Blue Hill GM (formerly sommelier, and a full-time goddess) Pam Walton visited with us at the end of our meal (um, we closed the place).

Last October, Betsy was my plus-one at the Outstanding in the Field Farm Dinner, featuring Blue Hill's phenomenal team, at Stone Barns. So we had already met and chatted with them then.

Stone Barns Dinner with Outstanding in the Field: October 12, 2003

I keep meaning to post about the courses Michael sent out on our most recent visit. Maybe I'll do that today.

They are all very excited about the new restaurant, and understandably so.

This appeared on page 1 today:

Stone Barns: The overview

These were published on four pages of our Life & Style section today:

Introduction

The Grounds

The Farm

The Programs

The Chefs

Facts

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Great work!

Are there photos in the print edition?

Thanks so much.

Yes, there are photos of Dan and Mike cooking, a serene one of a cow grazng, photos of the silos and a HUGE one of the courtyard. Some are insets of the greenhouses and a few other details, and some are portraits, like of Daphne Deven and Craig Haney. There is a site map, too. The photographer, Carmen Troesser, did a wonderful job, as did my editor, Mitch Broder, and our layout editor, Brian McNamara. It was really a team effort. I wish you could see!

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I'm glad to see that michael is still in the picture. I was surprised to find that he wasn't mentioned on the Blue Hill website. This led me to believe that he was perhaps no longer afiliated with that team. This is reassuring news.

Liz, Thanks for that article. It wass very well done. i believe that this is an extremely important project on many levels and wish it complete success.

Twitter - @docsconz

I have never seen Michael Anthony called Mike, but then I don't live there.

Is that an East Coast thing? Or perhaps not. Some people just can't bear not to shorten a name.

I can't feature Michael Anthony, that chef, as "Mike." Correct me if I am wrong.

I actually never asked him, but I have heard plenty of people call him by both names.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Liz, Thanks for that article. It wass very well done. i believe that this is an extremely important project on many levels and wish it complete success.

Thanks very much. I hope you'll get a chance to go there when it opens in May.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Thanks very much. I hope you'll get a chance to go there when it opens in May.

I hope to. Do you know if they are taking reservations yet or if not when they are planning on starting?

Twitter - @docsconz

Do you know if they are taking reservations yet or if not when they are planning on starting?

I'm sorry -- I just saw this. They are taking reservations starting in April, according to the message on the phone.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Is that an East Coast thing? Or perhaps not. Some people just can't bear not to shorten a name.

I can't feature Michael Anthony, that chef, as "Mike." Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm sure I've referred to Mike as "Mike," on eGullet.

Bux: I don't believe the restaurant normally serves a cheese course.

Wilfrid: I had a splendid cheese course at Blue Hill

Well there goes my reputation for being a meticulous restaurant connoisseur with keen powers of observation. My only excuse is that we've put ourselves in the chef's hands the last three or four times we've been there and have hardly looked at the menu.

Maybe I should say chefs' hands as Mike Anthony who's now in the kitchen with Dan is making his own contributions to the menu. I find the food at Blue Hill very simple, but the kind of simplicity that only results from a lot of thought.

I found this, early on. I'm almost sure I've heard Dan call him Mike as well and that goes for people who have worked with him in the past. Of course Mike's too nice a guy to correct me if I was wrong.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Mike called me Monday to say thanks for the article and he said: "Hi Liz, it's Mike Anthony."

Although when I first met him, I did call him Michael.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

• 1 month later...
The invitation I received in the mail was just flat-out gorgeous.

I'd hardly call the card we received "gorgeous." But it does invite us "to preview the prix fixe menu at a 20% discount through the end of April." :smile: