• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The new convenience herbs, spices and seasonings

Fat Guy

I haven't seen the frozen herb cubes around here.  I think I've seen some of the tubes, and haven't tried them, but maybe I should.  I did also purchase an Aerogarden, and that's my favorite.  I can't wait until my new seed pods arrive!

Jenny

How's the Aerogarden working for you? I'm jonesing for herbs I can't find easily in Japan, like tarragon.

I've seen small pots of herbs, in a number of grocery stores around here. Publix and Whole Foods do have them. Just snip off what you need, then put them back on the windowsill. I've done a large dinner that way, and it was very easy to do. Cheaper than the plastic encased ones as well. I want to say the small 3" pot was around $1, with enough ready to go herbs in it to cook for 15 people. There was a lot left over, and I sent some of the pots home with some of my guests who commented on them. It made for a neat souvenier, and I didn't have to hassle with keeping up with them.

They are fresher and cheaper than the packaged herbs, with a more than generous amount of herbs in there. They are around. Of course, most herbs can be planted in small pots that will sit near a window. It does not get any more convenient that walking 5 feet to a window and snipping off as much basil as you need. Then just continue your task.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I love the frozen herb cubes!

I hate the waste of buying a big bunch of cilantro to throw away after I've used 1 little spoonfull of the stuff, (I really dislike cilantro, but once in a while I still need to use it) so last year I tried growing a cilantro plant instead so I could just snip what I needed, but of course it died back just a week before I came across a recipe where I needed it :angry:

cubes are the perfect solution. 1 tray of cilantro cubes will last me a full year!

I'd ignored the garlic cubes, because I always have fresh around, but what a great suggestion re sauteeing it frozen - thanks!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Chopped garlic in oil/water in a jar causes me excruciating indigestion. Another reason to eat only where you know what you're getting. I made the mistake of eating some stir fry in the company cafeteria a couple of years ago and almost didn't live to tell the tale. I called the manager after a couple of hours of agony and he confirmed that they used it exclusively in their kitchen. Having only ever eaten from the salad bar, I had no idea. That was my first and last experiment with cooked food there. Ay ay ay.

And jgm, I want to hear abut your aerogarden experience, too. I am very tempted by them.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher