• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Woks on the outdoor bbq

cnspriggs

Hmm that looks interesting. Is the wok actually attached to the unit? Is there a wok ring it can stand on? I might be a little concerned with stainless steel, but for stir fries, if it gets hot enough and if your technique is fast enough, you can settle with stainless steel. Just as long as you keep stirring your food, you'll be fine. With stainless however, the low conductivity might have you prone to burning food and it probably will be a little more difficult controlling surface temperatures of the wok, especially with charcoal.

Charcoal will be alot more different in temperature control than gas. However charcoal and other biomass fuels are the fuel of choice for many chinese. Most of them use either cast iron or carbon steel though, especially cast iron. Alton Brown also uses a grill to heat up his wok in one episode for pad thai. It looked like it worked pretty well, but I'm not too sure how that worked out.

I've actually been interested in charcoal for wok cooking and have been trying to find suitable units. Other than one particular one called the "volcano stove", most of them are only available in Asia.

Other than that, if you have a weber already, it looks like a pretty interesting way to utilize it.

Edited by takadi (log)

I'd love to hearing opinions on the wok that weber has

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/accessory/chargear.aspx

I notice it's stainless steel and I always thought carbon steel was the preferred wok material. Would love to hear if anyone thinks this wok would give good performance with the weber charcoal grill or if it is a gimmick.

Cheers!

I had one of the Weber woks when V and I lived back in Australia. It was carbon steel and absolutely awesome. Chili crab done on the weber for a messy BBQ. Honestly I don't know how I feel about the stainless version, but the steel one was good for so many things - stir frys, tea smoking duck it just made the usual outdoor different when everyone was expecting you to do the usual steak, lamb chops etc on the grill.

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

Can any Aussy out there confirm if Weber has any carbon steel woks down under? In the UK I've written the distributor and they insist that only stainless steel is available.

I had one of the Weber woks when V and I lived back in Australia. It was carbon steel and absolutely awesome. Chili crab done on the weber for a messy BBQ. Honestly I don't know how I feel about the stainless version, but the steel one was good for so many things -  stir frys, tea smoking duck it just made the usual outdoor different when everyone was expecting you to do the usual steak, lamb chops etc on the grill.

Cheers

Tom