• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things to do with frozen peas

Fat Guy

This may sound a sin, but drop them into a Tom Yam Goong instead of the little eggplants. They sweeten the soup, and can make it much more comforting. (But don't tell my Thai friends I ever suggested this)

I have been trying to get this topic out of my mind but it just won't go so tonight I am cooking for myself and it will be a lamb chop accompanied by frozen peas cooked with some bacon, chopped onion and some sliced mushrooms. :smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There's always risi e bisi from the Veneto:

gallery_6902_4281_79540.jpg

Excellent Weinoo suported with photo, what kind or type of rice u is this?

Cookwithlove

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

I thought of this topic when I ripped open the bag of frozen peas tonight....I just cooked them and tossed them with some cilantro mint pesto I also had in the freezer. The combination was delicious.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

My latest favourite, adapted from Shalmanese's Pea pasta idea.

It is so amazing, no one believes that it is just peas and butter.

Cook pasta until just aldente

In the meantime, melt a stick of butter in a saucepan (you want lots of butter) and add a packet of frozen peas (when blended it should be a touch thinner than pesto, so it sticks to the pasta but is not stodgy), simmer the peas in the butter until defrosted and warmed through. Season with lots of salt and pepper, then blend until almost smooth. Toss through the hot pasta and serve !

Edited by infernooo (log)

This is a comfort food for me: Ground Beef with Peas in an Asian stirfry. The recipe is from a 1960s cookbook I will not name, because the author is now in disrepute. She offers "Chinese-American" recipes like chop suey, seasoned with MSG--This cookbook was published before Chinese food was supposed to be healthy or authentic.  :laugh: But I cook the recipes now and then. The food reminds me of the Chinese restaurant food I ate as a kid, and hey, it still tastes good. I skip the MSG, though.

Here is my adaptation. It's quick and easy after a busy day.

GROUND BEEF WITH PEAS

2 Tb oil

2 cloves garlic, crushed

few slices of fresh gingerroot

1 large onion, sliced

1 lb ground beef

2 Tb soy sauce

1 Tb dry sherry

1 tsp sugar

1 Tb cornstarch, dissolved in a little water

3 cups frozen peas (FG, this is almost a whole bag!)

roasted sesame oil

Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the garlic and gingerroot, then the onion, and saute until slightly softened. Crumble in the ground beef, and break it up into smaller chunks with a spatula. Cook the beef until the red color disappears. Add the soy sauce, sherry, sugar, and 1 cup of water. Mix in well. Add the peas, and let cook for a minute. Season with salt and pepper. Then add the dissolved cornstarch. Bring to a boil, adding more water as necessary, until the peas are hot and the gravy has thickened. Drizzle with a little roasted sesame oil. Serve hot over steamed rice.

I do a very similar dish, but I omit the onion and garlic. Instead, I add chopped smoked oysters 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce and serve the heated mixture in a bowl circled with butter lettuce, so guests can make their own lettuce wraps.

Today I had a pureed green pea soup with minted foam at a local restaurant -- it was the epitome of springtime! A similar kind of soup with plenty of cream would certainly use up all those frozen peas.

My favorite use of frozen peas, sweat off some shallotts in a pan, when translucent add some chopped pancetta or good bacon, and fry off. Add a couple of glasses of white wine and cook out, add carton of single cream and reduce. When reduced stir in 2 teaspoons (more or less to taste) of horseradish sauce (I use a store bought jar). Throw in a couple of handfuls of frozen peas and simmer for a few minutes until the peas a cooked. A knob of butter to give a nice sheen to the sauce and serve on some white fish (I normally have it with some nice pan fried fillets of cod). Very tasty.

Edited by Stephen_K (log)

My favorite use of frozen peas, sweat off some shallotts in a pan, when translucent add some chopped pancetta or good bacon, and fry off. Add a couple of glasses of white wine and cook out, add carton of single cream and reduce. When reduced stir in 2 teaspoons (more or less to taste) of horseradish sauce (I use a store bought jar). Throw in a couple of handfuls of frozen peas and simmer for a few minutes until the peas a cooked. A knob of butter to give a nice sheen to the sauce and serve on some white fish (I normally have it with some nice pan fried fillets of cod). Very tasty.

This sound great, especially with the horseradish twist and the idea of serving it over fish! Thank you.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I have a pea puree which I look for any excuse to make, it tastes like luxury

stick one cup of chicken stock, two peeled and crushed garlic cloves, and a knob of butter, and one or two 'arms' of a star anise into a saucepan and boil. When it starts reducing, add 1/3 a cup of frozen peas. After around 3-4 minutes, remove from the boil, remove the star anise and garlic and puree then put back on a soft heat until it has perfect consistency.

The anise flavour sits perfect between the sweetness of the peas and the meatiness of the stock. Something different from mint, in any case.

Edited by beandork (log)