• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things to do with frozen peas

Fat Guy

I thought we were out of frozen peas, so I bought two bags today. When I went to put them in the freezer, I found two full bags and a mostly full third bag. So, with nearly five bags of peas, I really need to cook some peas.

Of course, I can figure out to eat them just heated up and served as peas. I also occasionally snack on them right out of the bag, like little green frozen M&Ms. But let's say I want more from the relationship?

I'm trying to think outside the box, bag, whatever here. I know a few pasta and rice dishes to which peas can be added. What I'm really trying to figure out is something unexpected.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Creamed peas using any recipe you like for creamed spinach with plenty of fresh dill snipped over before serving. Served with crusty garlic bread this was childhood comfort food in our family.

Indian Cheese with Peas (Mattar Pannir)

For the pannir:

2 quarts (2 L) milk

1/2 cup (125 ml) plain yogurt

2 Tbs (30 ml) fresh lemon juice

For the peas:

1/4 cup (60 ml) ghee

2 Tbs (30 ml) finely chopped fresh ginger

2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 cup (250 ml) reserved whey from the pannir

1 Tbs (15 ml) garam masala

1 tsp (5 ml) ground coriander

1 tsp (5 ml) turmeric

1/4 tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper, or to taste

2-3 tomatoes, finely chopped

1 1/2 cups (375 ml) fresh or frozen peas, thawed

1 tsp (5 ml) sugar

Chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnish

To make the pannir, bring the milk to a boil in a saucepan over moderate

heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the yogurt and lemon juice - the

curds should form almost immediately. Pour the contents of the pot into

a sieve lined with several layers of cheesecloth (muslin) set over a large

bowl. Let drain until cool enough to handle, then wrap the cheesecloth

around the curds and wring to extract as much whey as possible. Reserve

1 cup of the whey for the recipe and discard the rest. Place the cheese,

still wrapped in the cheesecloth, on a baking sheet and place a heavy

skillet and several heavy cans or heavy pots on top (total weight should

be about 15 lbs, 6 Kg) and let rest at room temperature for 6 to 8 hours,

until the cheese is firm. Remove the cheesecloth and cut the cheese into

1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes.

Heat the ghee in a heavy skillet over moderate heat until very hot and

fry the cheese cubes in batches until golden brown on all sides. Transfer

the browned cheese cubes to a plate. Add the ginger and garlic to the

ghee remaining in the skillet and saute for 30 seconds. Add the onions

and saute, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown, about

10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring

occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer partially covered for

10 minutes. Add the cheese cubes and simmer covered for 10 minutes.

Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serves 4 to 6.

stew a lotta peas with chopped onion and lotsa coarsely chopped garlic that has been softened in extra virgin. Add tomatoes--canned for this time of year, ripe and robust when the season hits. SEason to taste with salt, pepper, and maybe some fennel or thyme...then poach an egg per person into the pea and tomato sauce which should be nice and thick. If it isn't, add some tomato paste.

eat it with rustic bread to scoop into the messy eggy-pea and tomato dish. this is one of my fave comfort dishes, brought home from a greek island.

there is, however, one secret ingredient: cigarette ashes, dropped into the delicious brew by the village cook who taught me, smoking as she cooked and stirred.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Petit Pois

Peas cooked with lettuce leaves.

INGREDIENTS:

* lettuce leaves, rinsed and left moist

* 1 package (10 ounces) petite peas, partially thawed and broken up or about 1 1/2 to 2 cups shelled young peas

* 1 teaspoon sugar

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

* 2 tablespoons butter

PREPARATION:

Directions for petit pois

Line a heavy skillet or Dutch oven with 3 to 4 large lettuce leaves. Add peas; sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper. Dot with butter over the top of peas. Top with another lettuce leaf or two. Cover tightly and cook over medium low heat for 8 to 10 minutes (a little longer for fresh peas), or until peas are tender. Check and add small amounts of water if the peas are drying out. Lettuce may be chopped and served with peas, if desired.

Unless you really want to try making paneer,

get some from yr local Whole Foods, or Indian store,

or Trader Joe's...

Then make matar paneer as suggested.

No need to deep fry the paneer cubes, stick them

in a toaster oven to broil/grill instead. Turn them over

after a while so they get evenly golden.

Sundal is also a great and quick alternative

for frozen peas, cook them quickly (steaming is best)

with salt to taste

and do a tarka of (for 4 cups cooked peas):

1 tbsp cooking oil, 1/4 tsp hing, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds,

1-2 dry red chillies broken in half OR 1 hot green chili minced

with 1/4 inch chunk of ginger.

Dump over the peas and mix, garnish with

cilantro, a little shredded fresh coconut, splash of fresh lemon juice;

if you can find an unripe mango, peel and dice finely and add

to the mix.

Literally takes 5 minutes to cook, eat it warm or room temp,

great quick dish for picnics or any time you don't want to heat

up the kitchen with cooking.

Milagai

One of the best vegetable dishes I ever ate was peas done in some provincial French style at the Rive Gauche restaurant long at the SW corner of Wisconsin and M streets in DC.

Never have been able to recreate what they did, but from memory it had a lot of flavor and emphasized bacon, onion, and mushrooms. For all I know, maybe there was also white wine and stock.

In my efforts, I start with 'baby' peas.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

Some great ideas here! Need to bookmark this thread.  :biggrin:

Of course, though, the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title is that the packages make great icepacks. . . :hmmm:

Oh yes- I thought the same. Especially if you have kids. We keep 2 bags with a duct tape labels on them that won't peel off just for those boo-boos that need ice.

Make a puree and used them in various recipes:

- I have done very succesfull pea flans in the past... I can easily imagine pea souffle (with a nice cheese to complement the flavour) although I never tried.

- You can also make a sauce with peas and herbs... great with fish.

- Soups

- Pasta fillings (with a mint, lemon and thyme butter sauce... hummm :raz: )

- Baby food :wink:

- I have done very succesfull pea flans in the past... I can easily imagine pea souffle (with a nice cheese to complement the flavour) although I never tried.

That reminds me - I just made a pea and mushroom quiche this past week. I love the little burst of sweetness from the peas.

I use about a cup of thawed peas in my fried rice.

The quiche idea is wonderful. A pea and fresh herb quiche is really, really good.

Sometimes I fold peas into my mashed potatoes and also use them as a baked potato topping (fried in butter with onions). The little bursts of *green* flavor marry so well with the fluffy potatoes.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

A pea salad, similar to a potato salad, with red onions, a sour cream and/or mayo base with some fresh dill and maybe some bacon.

This reminds me also of "Russian Salad" or Salade Russe which is also a popular Spanich tapas. Bascially it is a vegetable salad usually with potatoes, peas, green beans, maybe carrots. There are many versions but they usually have potatoes and peas. Sometimes meat like ham or tuna is added or eggs. I think the dressing is often creamy but I've also seen ones dressed in vinegar and oil in some of my Spanish cookbooks.

This doesn't look like a very exciting recipe to me but it gives an idea of the approach: click

The salad is also popular in Russia, I believe, but it's not called "Russian Salad" there.

A friend made a terrific potato salad once with peas. I think it was potatoes, peas, onions, (green onions?), fresh tarragon and a simple wine vinegar vinaigrette. I've always wanted to duplicate that dish.

I always use peas (and carrots) in the turkey pot pie I make after Thanksgiving, but one could also make some chicken or ham pot pies.

edited to add: I made a great pea side dish for Easter that I will make again; it's Pea and Fava Bean Ragout from Chez Panisse Vegetables.

I also added chopped asparagus to it that I had pre-blanched. You just stew the peas, peeled fava beans and (asparagus; if using) in a mixture of butter and olive oil over low heat. Add a few slivers of garlic to the mix as well. At the end, add a chiffonade of basil and/or mint and season with salt and pepper. Excellent and very easy!

She also suggests that you could thin this out with a small amount of chicken stock and use it as a pasta sauce. I think it would also be great over fresh split biscuits in a type of savory shortcake or over a pan fried risotto cake. I think it would also make a nice light lunch or meal served with some fresh cornbread.

Other vegetables that she suggests could be part of the mix: artichoke hearts, sugar snap peas, morels, tender green beans, spring onions, green garlic, proscuitto (thin slices) and slices of boiled new potatoes. I think all the variations would work very well. Pancetta would also be another nice add in.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Make a puree and used them in various recipes:

I made a pea puree not long ago. Thawed peas in a blender with saueted shallots, a little cream and mint. S & P to taste. The color was awesome and it taste great. Would work well as a side to chicken, fish or beef.

stew a lotta peas with chopped onion and lotsa coarsely chopped garlic that has been softened in extra virgin. Add tomatoes--canned for this time of year, ripe and robust when the season hits. SEason to taste with salt, pepper, and maybe some fennel or thyme...then poach an egg per person into the pea and tomato sauce which should be nice and thick. If it isn't, add some tomato paste.

eat it with rustic bread to scoop into the messy eggy-pea and tomato dish. this is one of my fave comfort dishes, brought home from a greek island.

there is, however, one secret ingredient: cigarette ashes, dropped into the delicious brew by the village cook who taught me, smoking as she cooked and stirred.

That does sound like comfort food- will definately try (w/o ciggie ash)

Cooked peas, butter, curry powder, feta cheese crumbles. Add some cooked cauliflower if you have some (or defrost/cook some). This dish has gone over like gangbusters at potlucks.

If you have some of Penzey's Ozark seasoning, it seems to be made to go with peas. Once again it's peas, butter, and Ozark seasoning to taste.

I'm also with the pea puree crowd. When I've served this people have looked at it like an exotic vegetable or something. Makes a nice bed/platform for grilled meats, too.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog