• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leaving the price tag on stuff

Fat Guy

I shop at several different stores, and while it's certainly the case that the big box places don't use price tags, most of the smaller ones do. And it's not that they don't have scanners. Everybody uses scanners. But some places use price stickers anyway, for whatever reason. Belt and suspenders? Avoidance of mis-scans? I don't know.

In smaller stores without fancy computer inventory systems and longer turn-over times the price tags serve as a quick visual means to check supplies and rotate stock.

SB :wink:

At one point I would not even let this bother me but the other night partner and I sat down to burgers and had the condiments on the table when I noticed the big ugly orange "Buy one get one free sticker" and it was just an irritant until I yanked it off.

Most of the places I shop don't have tags/stickers for prices but FatGuy this opens up another can of worms...what about the tags/stickers with the item code? You know "Gala apples 4064".

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.