• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great restaurants...

Last night my wife and I visited Cafe Juanita. As usual, the meal was excellent. My wife had a great braised rabbit, and I had what was probably the best steak I've ever had (the wagyu rib-eye). Dessert, wine, service: they were all great.

Holly Smith was in the FoH last night. We chatted with her about wine as well as the James Beard nomination.

Now, I love this restaurant. I think they do things right on so many levels... except for parking/location. Their own 7-8 car lot was full, as was the spill-over down the street. Where do people park when they head here at a reasonable time (say, anytime after 7:30pm)?

but definitely some more than others. Boat St Cafe comes to mind immediately. Now, I love this place, but man, the parking is atrocious.

Hey Malarkey,

We're thinking of going to Boat St. Cafe and I'm wondering if it's within walking distance from the ferry? I'm in Poulsbo and try to 'walk-it' when we go to Seattle...parking being one reason...

but definitely some more than others. Boat St Cafe comes to mind immediately. Now, I love this place, but man, the parking is atrocious.

Hey Malarkey,

We're thinking of going to Boat St. Cafe and I'm wondering if it's within walking distance from the ferry? I'm in Poulsbo and try to 'walk-it' when we go to Seattle...parking being one reason...

Not Malarkey, but it's a fair schlep from the ferry terminal to Boat St. Not undoable by any means and certainly there's no cross country bits involved but it does involve walking the entire length of the waterfront, up past the sculpture garden and farther north a few more blocks. I guess it depends on how much you feel is a reasonable walk. It is also a fairly pleasant walk for the most part.

Rocky

Hey Malarkey,

Not Malarkey, but it's a fair schlep from the ferry terminal to Boat St. Not undoable by any means and certainly there's no cross country bits involved but it does involve walking the entire length of the waterfront, up past the sculpture garden and farther north a few more blocks. I guess it depends on how much you feel is a reasonable walk. It is also a fairly pleasant walk for the most part.

Rocky

One could always take the Waterfront (not really a) Trolley for a good chunk of that stretch.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

You could also take the number 15 or the number 18 bus. They both run on first Ave.

I'm also looking forward to trying the Boat Street Cafe.

I now live in Bremerton, so this will mean a ferry trip in to Seattle.

I'm thinking taxi...(((-:

Hi Char,

You and Richard could always take the Route 99 bus, which is substituting for the Waterfront Trolley through June, and then it would be probably about 10-12 long blocks from there and take a taxi back. The link for the Route 99 bus and information on schedule is: http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/wfsc/water..._streetcar.html

Fare is free and that would at least get you to the Edgewater.

Hope to see you guys soon again.

Kay

Edited by kayswv (log)

Hi Char,

You and Richard could always take the Route 99 bus, which is substituting for the Waterfront Trolley through June, and then it would be probably about 10-12 long blocks from there and take a taxi back. The link for the Route 99 bus and information on schedule is: http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/wfsc/water..._streetcar.html

Kay

It is about 4 or 5 blocks from the end of the run.

The 99 was suppose to be free until the construction of the sculpture park ended - is it still free?

It only runs until around 7 pm.

Don't flame me for my choice in restaurant, but my vote for worst parking is the University Red Robin (and that was before the sinkhole that opened up yesterday). The parking lot has a few spaces but is at a 60 degree angle. You almost need mountain climbing equipment to get from the parking lot to street level.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Don't flame me for my choice in restaurant, but my vote for worst parking is the University Red Robin (and that was before the sinkhole that opened up yesterday).  The parking lot has a few spaces but is at a 60 degree angle.  You almost need mountain climbing equipment to get from the parking lot to street level.

Dayne loves the U Red Robin :laugh:

Hi Char,

Kay

Thanks Kay! Hope to see you and Al as well...maybe we'll start participating in more events this summer.

Don't flame me for my choice in restaurant

:) My little girl is hooked on their kid's pizza. Last week I made her pizza with home-made dough. I thought it was pretty good. She was certainly wolfing it down. And then I had to ask: Who makes the best pizza? She yells...

RED ROBIN!

I was a little bummed.

At Cafe Juanita, I park down the street at the lakefront park.

Ever had any problems? I was about to park in there, but just as I was turning in, I noticed a (new?) sign stating: Parking for Park Visitors Only.

Me too -- with the painting of Red smoking a joint by the front door!  Classic. 

You know about the parking lot across the street, right?  It's a block away but much less scary.

I do and I tell my friend to try their first, but he insists on pulling his big ol' Taurus half way down the hill, before having to back up the hill.

I like the view at the U Red Robin and though I know it's not as good as the Palace Kitchen (I still haven't tried their burger) sometimes I just want a step up from Burger King.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons