• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The hot sandwich: sometimes not so hot

Fat Guy

Cool thread. What about the BLT? My personal favorite. I only eat these during the summer when my garden is producing truly great tomatoes. I use a good white bread, sometimes sourdough, always toasted. I then add , Hellman's (cold), iceburg lettuce (also cold), bacon (hot), and tomato (room temp). Its all pretty much room temp by the time i eat it. Bud during the season, I can put away 3 or 4 at a sitting. Come on Mid-July :rolleyes:

BLTs. The best sandwich ever!

So no mention of Philly cheesesteaks? Chicago hot beef? Beef on weck?

Cool thread. What about the BLT? My personal favorite. I only eat these during the summer when my garden is producing truly great tomatoes. I use a good white bread, sometimes sourdough, always toasted. I then add , Hellman's (cold), iceburg lettuce (also cold), bacon (hot), and tomato (room temp). Its all pretty much room temp by the time i eat it. Bud during the season, I can put away 3 or 4 at a sitting. Come on Mid-July :rolleyes:

BLTs. The best sandwich ever!

So no mention of Philly cheesesteaks? Chicago hot beef? Beef on weck?

Those are supposed to be hot....vs an Italian cold cut sandwich that someone decides to toast.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Spotted at a restaurant at a mall the other day:  egg salad and your choice of cheese pannini.  Hot egg salad with melted cheese?  Yikes!

OK we can just Stop now

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

You are not alone. I feel exactly the same way.

Imagine peanut butter and jelly panini! :shock:

I can imagine it quite well. Growing up, a grilled peanut-butter sandwich was one of my favorite things, the gooey melted peanut butter contrasting with the still crunchy chunks. Nowadays I pair it with either hot pepper relish or Trader Joe's Tomatoless Corn Salsa.

Delicious.

I agree with Fats to a point. I think the multi-layer sandwich is where heating works best, as it brings the components together and often softens them up nicely.

As a Jewish Deli purist, there is nothing I despise more than toasted rye or melted swiss on my pastrami. I've had more Reubens in the past year than most have had in their life, and while they are delicious, I hardly find them an improvement over a classic hot corned beef on fresh rye.

Save the Deliwww.savethedeli.com

I am one of those people who slaps every single sandwich she makes in her panini maker. Maybe it's because I grew up eating Cubans, but a sandwich just doesn't feel quite right if it isn't melting all over the place. I usually leave them in long enough so that they're perfectly flat and turning kind of blackish...I like everything as crispy as possible. I even love eating hot, drippy mayo and mustard. I usually don't order panini when eating out, though...they always seem to feel a need to put too much junk on it. Although a toasted Subway sandwich with avocado, swiss, chicken, and teriyaki glaze is kinda delicious in a really perverse way.

One thing I like to make is a hummus sandwich with feta cheese and a little bit of pomegranate vinigeratte, with some spring greens and cucumber added after pressing. Warm hummus can be pretty delicious.