• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bouchon Bakery

We've purchased pastries twice this week from Bouchon Bakery, and they have been, without a doubt, some of THE WORST pastries we have ever eaten.

First we had a Pain Raisin and Chocolate Almond Croissant that were both so either old or over-baked, that they disintegrated when put to the knife.

This morning, we had 2 usually delicious chocolate doughnuts that tasted like hockey pucks. They were greasy, overcooked, and dry. I would have thought they were baked sometime yesterday instead of this morning. A banana nut muffin & bear claw were equally old-tasting.

Does anyone know what is going on here?!?!? Their pastries have always been wonderful, and we cannot figure out what is going on.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Please share your thoughts.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

i don't think they have a baker right now... but i also haven't been there in 3 months.

in other news the Rudd's (of dean & deluca fame) have bought Gordon's.

Roger Gural who is an old poster on egullet (rgural) left in January. There is a new head baker who started around last week IIRC, not that he should have anything to so with the pastries...necessarily...

Edited by artisanbaker (log)

Roger Gural who is an old poster on egullet (rgural) left in January. There is a new head baker who started around last week IIRC, not that he should have anything to so with the pastries...necessarily...

i think the baker (which was roger) is in charge of all the pastries that bouchon produces...as well as the breads. i'm speaking of the viennoiserie-type pastries and excluding tarts and bouchons and such.

don't know how much control over their menu the pastry chef (if they have one at the bakery) has, or whether the pastry chef at french laundry has any responsibility at bouchon.

it's different at per se in new york. the pastry chef has some production control over what is produced for the take-away bakery while the baker is only in charge of the bread program.

edited to add: i could, of course, be wrong :wink:

Edited by alanamoana (log)