• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online Cocktail Videos

eje

Fantastic thread! Toby, your work is both humbling and inspiring. On top of everything else, your stirring technique is lovely.

And what to say about the Chris Millian Mint Julep? Now I have something to commit to memory.

Oh, and something to forget...the Woodford Reserve Mint Julep is like watching a 20-car smash-up in super-slow motion. "Don't forget your Sprite!!"

-Mike

Edited by scratchline (log)

I've sent a couple notes to the Keith Marszalek fellow who produces these things, but never gotten a response.

I will note that the web page featuring the julep states the following:

New Orleans' Best Cocktails: The Mint Julep

As the Ritz-Carlton's New Orleans Library Lounge enters a new phase, we close out our "classic cocktail" sessions with master mixolgist Chris McMillian.

Stay tuned as our weekly series "New Orleans' Best Cocktails" featuring Chris McMillian will continue to roll along with new and exciting material highlighting New Orleans' best bars and bartenders.

Maybe a bar remodel?

In any case, the blog entry makes it sounds like the series of videos featuring Chris will continue.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I asked Ann Rogers, of Tales of the Cocktail, and she said the Ritz is changing the Library Lounge into a "members only cigar type club." She also said she had heard Mr. McMillian may be moving to another bar in the hotel.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 4 months later...

http://drinks.chicagoreader.com/video_archive.php

So this is the first of four videos that the Chicago reader is doing for the Chicago Drinks section of the paper.

It was really early in the morning, so for the life of me I couldn't recite any poetry. And then there is the hawthorn strainer that I lost in the light. Damn wish that could have been edited out.

But on the plus side there are a lot less Ums than in the previous videos.

Toby Maloney

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

ha, ha!!! i only laugh because you're so incredibly smooth when you drop that strainer. i guess that's why you have a 2nd one right on the bar.

again, great video, toby. can't wait to visit you in person at the violet hour some day.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey this was posted a bit ago and I don't see any links to it in the topic. The gentleman in the video seems strangely familiar.

In the magazine this week, maple syrup was a key ingredient in the "In Season" recipe. Don Lee of PDT may use maple syrup to make his old-fashioned, but we couldn't get past the bacon-infused bourbon that is the base of the drink. Bacon? Bourbon? We're in. And since we took our camera to PDT yesterday to watch Lee prepare the drink himself, we can all practice at home. Frequently.

What a snazzy dresser!

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Hey this was posted a bit ago and I don't see any links to it in the topic.  The gentleman in the video seems strangely familiar.

In the magazine this week, maple syrup was a key ingredient in the "In Season" recipe. Don Lee of PDT may use maple syrup to make his old-fashioned, but we couldn't get past the bacon-infused bourbon that is the base of the drink. Bacon? Bourbon? We're in. And since we took our camera to PDT yesterday to watch Lee prepare the drink himself, we can all practice at home. Frequently.

What a snazzy dresser!

I watched the video here (where you can watch it at a slightly higher resolution if you want).

It's a great video, especially that smooth stirring technique. Really cool drink too.

nunc est bibendum...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Found this lovely gem while perusing Mr. Morgenthaler's website this morning. What a great find. Hope the rest of the week is this good.

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/ho...ing-school-way/

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

http://thehopry.com/

Here's a Top Chef style online show, illustrating just how far the craft of bartending has come. The dedicated bar talent here, as impressive as it may be, doesn't quite compare to the sage palates of the judge's table.

http://lxtv.com/ontherocks/

"Wives and such are constantly filling up any refrigerator they have a

claim on, even its ice compartment, with irrelevant rubbish like

food."" - Kingsley Amis

Chris says its his last day at the Library Lounge?  Say it isn't so!  Anyone have the scoop on this?

Any follow up on this? Is he going somewhere else? Retiring?

Sorry to be jumping in here so late. I attended the "Mint Julep: The Official Drink of the Kentucky Derby" event at the American Museum of Natural History here in NY on July 22nd, which was presided over by Chris.

Blurb here:

"Master mixologist Chris McMillian and cocktail historian David Wondrich share the surprising history of the mint julep,official drink of the Kentucky Derby,while mixing up McMillian’s famed recipe."

Chris is still working, he's now at the Renaissance Pere Marquette Hotel, still banging out prose and mint julep's for the lucky few.

Found this lovely gem while perusing Mr. Morgenthaler's website this morning.  What a great find.  Hope the rest of the week is this good.

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/ho...ing-school-way/

Ha!! That's got to be the worst cocktail video I've ever seen! The nose-picking and the call for store-bought sweet and sour ("nobody uses fresh lime anymore") is precious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I've got kind of a different, but cool cocktail video at the End of the new episode of my web show you all might be interested in.  I went to the Pegu Club and made a Tom and Jerry with Audrey.

This video is awesome, and I thought that before I even got to the Tom & Jerry part. (off topic, but I've been buying Sky Top Farms milk for a few weeks now and it's been a revelation. Certainly didn't understand what homogenization meant. And now I want a cow.)

And Audrey's tip for getting the tins apart is going to come in handy!

This video is awesome, and I thought that before I even got to the Tom & Jerry part.

And Audrey's tip for getting the tins apart is going to come in handy!

Thanks!!

Totally, its so embarrassing when you can't get the thing opened.

Edited by mjc (log)

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Of course there are lots of videos out there on how to make martinis but this one on videojug caught my eye. Though entitled "How to make a classic gin martini cocktail", he only perfumes the ice then adds the gin. In the video, he uses a martini "gallon" to stir the gin in ice. Any suggestions on where to look for a martini "gallon" such as the one in the video?

Link: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-a...artini-cocktail

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

my wife took while we were at the Touzan Bar, Kyoto Hyatt Regency, on January 1st of this year.

There's nothing particularly unique about the video (other than some of our distracting background chatter...sorry about that), though it does showcase the Japanese bartending style pretty well. If you jump ahead to the 5:11 mark there's also a good example of the hard shake.

Excellent bar, by the way.

-Dayne aka TallDrinkOfWater

###

"Let's get down to business. For the gin connoisseur, a Martini garnish varies by his or her mood. Need a little get-up-and-go?---lemon twist. Wednesday night and had a half-tough day at the office?---olive. Found out you're gonna have group sex with Gwen Stefani and Scarlett Johansson at midnight?---pour yourself a pickled onion Gibson Martini at 8:00, sharp." - Lonnie Bruner, DC Drinks