• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online Cocktail Videos

eje

There are three on Angus Winchester's YouTube page:

anguswinchester

Mr Hoshi's Dry Martini

Love drink

Ice Ball Carving

And many more if you poke around on youtube.

I'd sure like to see more by this Mr. Hoshi. Just watching him make that Dry Martini was inspiring! Anyone know where I can find more info on this guy (first name, website, etc)? I've searched google with minimal results.

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

http://thehopry.com/

Nice work Toby. Great fun watching you work. Such clean movements.

One question: in the Iron Cross video you discarded several pieces of ice. What was wrong with them?

Has anyone ever seen a stylized Japanese bartender work? Last time I was at the Library Lounge in New Orleans, Chris McMilllian was telling me about these videos from Japan that were amazing. And leads on those?

I have heard the term "functional flair" bandied about. The definition being "flair" that actually makes you faster instead of slowing you down and makng you look like Tom Cruise.

I am using Kold-Draft ice and I was checking for any flaws in the cube or excess ridge or a dimple. With a flaw the cube will shatter, then you might as well be shaking with crushed ice. The ridge will just add excess water. The dimple will do both of above. With any egg white drink you have to shake so hard, fast and long, that your ice must be perfect or the drink will be ruined.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 1 month later...

I spent a good portion of this weekend recording cocktail videos: eight total. Over the course of the next couple days I hope to have them all uploaded on YouTube, with more to follow in the weeks ahead.

Hope you enjoy the drinks AND the music...

Cocktails & Jazz

http://www.youtube.com/cocktailsandjazz

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

So now that I have enough videos uploaded, I wanted to share the fact that I started a basic blog to post my videos to. Please feel free to leave comments for me, but be nice. It's hard work trying to make a decent video. I don't always get things perfect, but hopefully they're at least enjoyable to watch.

http://www.cocktailsandjazz.blogspot.com/

Thanks, The Hopry

As someone on the Drinkboy forums said in response to this very video, "I have nothing to say to that video, not because there is nothing to say, but because I don't know where to begin."

I've seen this about 4-5 times and it leaves me with jaw agape every time. It's like I always hope someone showed her her errors since the last time I watched it and it will be more correct. Each time I am, of course, disappointed

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

i use Miro to download and watch Art of the Drink (which is so-so, but has pretty girls mix the competently made drinks) and Cocktails on the Fly (which is in HD and is good and fun once you get used to Alberta).

but i really posted to echo what others have said about Toby's videos -- holy smokes, we need to get you a real show (and some lights) right away. if i lived in chicago, i'd be rounding up a film crew and heading to your bar asap! wow, just wow.

another quick question: what's with the beakers that you fill in addition to the glass? just extra? do you serve that with the chilled glass? if so, do you chill that also?

I'm not Toby, but I think I can answer that one. For a while now* if a cocktail is going to be served above a certain size for whatever reason, many better cocktail bars have been decanting part of the drink into a separate "miniature carafe" or beaker on the side, which is then nestled into a small bowl of crushed ice. This way the customer can have a larger pour, but the drink remains cold and is not diluted by staying on the ice.

* I first became aware of Audrey Saunders doing it at Bemelman's, but don't believe they were first.

--

In the words of Joquin Simo who needs julep cups when you have C-cups.

Prepare to shudder boys and girls.

So is this one bad then?

wow...no words...i have no words...

How about for this one?

Thanks, The Hopry

i use Miro to download and watch Art of the Drink (which is so-so, but has pretty girls mix the competently made drinks) and Cocktails on the Fly (which is in HD and is good and fun once you get used to Alberta).

but i really posted to echo what others have said about Toby's videos -- holy smokes, we need to get you a real show (and some lights) right away.  if i lived in chicago, i'd be rounding up a film crew and heading to your bar asap!  wow, just wow.

another quick question: what's with the beakers that you fill in addition to the glass?  just extra?  do you serve that with the chilled glass?  if so, do you chill that also?

Thank you very much for your kind words. It was a lot of fun to do. part of that could be due to the factt that I had just seen something about the use of UUUhhs and UUUUmmms iin the english language. The advuce that was given was to try to keep your sentences short, and drinking helps you not UUm and Uuh. So Mike Sula and I wern't shy about tasting the drinks. He did a great job considering what we had to work with and the time restraints.

Alchemy Consulting is in the process of trying to find a producer for a couple more segments right now. The next ones I want to do I would like them to be more professional, so it may be a while. Which sucks, but... If any body has some ideas on how it can happen faster PM me.

The "sidecars" are not chilled in ice like they are at Pegu, but they don't have to cope with hot little hands so they really do freshen a drink when addded to the glass.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 4 weeks later...

Just gotta note that the folks at Nola.com have finally committed Mr. Chris McMillian's wonderful presentation of the Mint Julep to video:

(Link to youtube video).

"Sip it and dream..." indeed!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Just gotta note that the folks at Nola.com have finally committed Mr. Chris McMillian's wonderful presentation of the Mint Julep to video:

(Link to youtube video).

"Sip it and dream..." indeed!

That, my friends, is everything I love about bars, bartenders and the American art of the mixed drink, all rolled up, stuck into a bag and pounded with a bung-starter.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Pretty outstanding indeed. Something tells me he's not leaving the industry, but just that location. I don't know him, though, so just guessing. Loved the videos, too. I got to where I started to like all the "uhs" in his sentences.

Thanks, The Hopry