• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's a barspoon hold?

JAZ

I own two barspoons -- one is the standard twisty-handled sort with the red knob on the end of the handle, another is Rosle's stainless, very beautiful but not very standard. The twisty one holds just under a teaspoon and a half; the Rosle doesn't even hold a teaspoon.

Here's the question: in lots of old cocktail books, a "barspoon" is used as a standard measurement, just as a "wineglass" is. But just how much liquid does a "barspoon" hold? Is it a really a measured amount, or is it shorthand for "a little bit"? Is a teaspoon a reasonable guess? Does it matter?

Maybe it's supposed to hold a teaspoon -- but in fact, all barspoons don't hold the same amount of liquid, which is what my point was. One of mine holds quite a bit more; one quite a bit less. It's that fact that led me to ask my question.

So if they're all supposed to hold a teaspoon, then why don't they?

Maybe it's supposed to hold a teaspoon -- but in fact, all barspoons don't hold the same amount of liquid, which is what my point was. One of mine holds quite a bit more; one quite a bit less. It's that fact that led me to ask my question.

So if they're all supposed to hold a teaspoon, then why don't they?

I understand that "bar spoon", (two words), is the generic name for any long handled spoon a bartender would use to assemble and stir drinks.

The "barspoon", (one word), when referred to as a liquid measure, traditionally held 5 milliliters, or a teaspoon. This terminology isn't used much any more.

SB (hasn't tended bar for quite a while though .... :unsure: )