• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fatback or salt pork????

awbrig

Wrong, but (no pun intended) thanks for responding...you now have the pleasure of me respoding to you...personally!

fatback: unprocessed fat from belly or back...not cured or smoked...pure mellow flavor

salt pork: fatty part of belly or shoulder...heavily smoked... prized for its fat(not like my wife)...adds savory richness to a dish and typically removed before eating...use sparingly...

As a home sausage maker I am always looking for fatback. However, every supermarket in my area doesn't carry it and I am forced to used trimmings for my fat. I'm told (tho I don't believe it) that all the fatback is reserved for commercial producers and is generally not available to the public. So who do I need to sleep with to get a supply of fatback?

Supermarkets have neither replaced nor supplanted butcher shops. They've just run them out of business. In NYC, fresh fat back is still available from specialty butchers, but not supermarkets. If there are real old fashioned butchers near you, that's where I'd go. You might be able to get away with blanching salt pork fat. It's also not been my experience that salt pork is heavily smoked, so you may be able to use to salt pork fat as is and compensate by using less salt in your recipe. For that you'd have to cook a bit of the mixture before adding the salt.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Wow something I can easily get in Japan that you guys can't get in the US. Now that I know its actual English name, fatback, I might search out uses for. I think it is probably the 2nd most popular cut of pork in this country, behind the tonkatsu cut.

Here it usually braised with some type of soy, but the amount of fat has always turned me off.

Once again egullet teaches me something I didn't know I didn't know. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I think something is being lost in the communication. When I spoke of "fatback" I was speaking of something that, with the exception of the rind, is 100% fat--no meat at all. The salt pork I have run across may vary from all fat to streaky belly, but usually it's been all fat. The cut I see in Chinatown here in NYC, is treaky belly and often quite lean, for that cut. It's always a good quarter to half fat and still quite a rich cut after braising.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The fatback here in Japan is about 75% fat, usually about 1/2 inch of fat with a streak of meat and then another 1/2 inch of fat and another streak of meat. Sometimes the fat can be an inch thick! This is why I usually avoid it, I can't stand that greasiness in my mouth.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I know that historically in the U.S. south, pretty much every recipe you ever saw for cooking vegetables said, "and a little piece of fatback for flavor."

I often use a strip or two of bacon in mine, but it doesn't taste the same as my grandmother's.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.