• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Mousse Pie

Becca Porter

I want to make a homemade version of a boxed French Silk Pie recipe my family loved growing up. I love CI's chocolate cream pie recipe, but I want a lighter version. Lighter in texture not calories :biggrin: .

I recently made a chocolate napoleon out of Pierre Herme's Chocolate Desserts book. It used a filling that was made of chocolate pastry cream lightened with whipped cream. It was incredibly delicious. Do you all think it would be too rich to be the filling for a pie?

For the crust I would prefer a chocolate wafer crust. However, they do not sell chocolate wafers here. Should I make my own or use oreos?

Last question: Should I top it with whipped cream? Thank you...

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

I want to make a homemade version of a boxed French Silk Pie recipe my family loved growing up. I love CI's chocolate cream pie recipe, but I want a lighter version. Lighter in texture not calories  :biggrin: .

I recently made a chocolate napoleon out of Pierre Herme's Chocolate Desserts book. It used a filling that was made of chocolate pastry cream lightened with whipped cream. It was incredibly delicious. Do you all think it would be too rich to be the filling for a pie?

For the crust I would prefer a chocolate wafer crust. However, they do not sell chocolate wafers here. Should I make my own or use oreos?

Last question: Should I top it with whipped cream? Thank you...

I'd like to see what you come up with here. I LOVE Cooks Illustrated's chocolate cream pie recipe too. It's awesome. So rich and loaded with chocolate. But something a little lighter and fluffier in texture, while keeping some serious chocolate flavor, would be nice.

For the crust, use Oreos. That's what the CI recipe calls for in their chocoalte cream pie. Works out great.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

My chocolate pie is pretty good. That's not meant to sound like bragging because it's simple but it always goes over really well and is an often requested item. I usually put it in tart shells for catering jobs just because that's easier to manage for large groups than cutting up and serving the pies that I make for the restaurant. It's not a light, airy pie and it's not a cream pie either. I won't post the recipe but I'd be willing to PM it to you if you're interested in checking it out. You could do some easy modifications to lighten it up a bit if that's your preference.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

How about a chibouste? Chocolate pastry cream, lighten with Italian meringue?

If you want a wafer crust, I think you can use Thomas Keller's TKO cookie recipe--it's supposed to be an adult Oreo.

I can dig up my chocolate tart crust recipe if you want to try that.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I have a recipe for Chocolate Silk from Stars Desserts.

It uses 20 ounces of bittersweet chocolate (melted and cooled), 6 ounces soft butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 6 eggs, 1/2 cup whipping cream and 1 tsp vanilla.

Beat together butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time, beat until light and fluffy, whisk in cooled chocolate, cream and vanilla.

She puts it in a brown sugar and nut crust which is delightful, but a crumb crust would great too.

I may have to explore a few of these options. They all sound good. Kerry, I love the sound of that brown sugar nut crust. What all does it consist of?

Thanks everyone...

-Becca

I may have to explore a few of these options. They all sound good. Kerry, I love the sound of that brown sugar nut crust. What all does it consist of?

Thanks everyone...

It's 7 ounces toasted pecans, 1/2 cup brown sugar, pinch cinnamon and 1/2 cup melted butter pressed into 9 inch springform.

If you have to use Oreos I'd probably take the icing out. I know it's a pain but I find it really reduces the chocolatiness(sp?) of the wafers.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

If you have to use Oreos I'd probably take the icing out. I know it's a pain but I find it really reduces the chocolatiness(sp?) of the wafers.

I'd use the nabisco chocolate wafers instead. No icing.

i make a black forest mousse pie for johnnybird - usually for his birthday. it is actually more of a pot de creme recipe with double the amount of chocolate - 12 oz for 6 eggs. i do put it in a chocolate crumb crust but make it with the chocolate wafers - not oreos- then top with dark cherries and cool whip(he can't handle the whipped cream).

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yes, I would love to. Unfortunately no one has ever actually seen these "rumored" cookies in northeastern Louisiana. Seriously they just are not carried anywhere ever. It's wierd.

-Becca

Yes, I would love to. Unfortunately no one has ever actually seen these "rumored" cookies in northeastern Louisiana. Seriously they just are not carried anywhere ever. It's wierd.

Can you buy oreo crumbs in boxes?

Have you looked in the ice cream section of your supermarket? They're usually next to the ice cream cones, chocolate syrup, etc. - not in the cookie section.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Have you looked in the ice cream section of your supermarket? They're usually next to the ice cream cones, chocolate syrup, etc. - not in the cookie section.

Hmm, good tip I'll check. Surely I would have noticed them by now considering my love for ice cream cones :smile: .

-Becca

For a crust I'd use these chocolate cookies... (from nigella lawson's domestic goddess book with a couple of tiny additions)

preheat oven to 170 (uk temp)

250g soft unsalted butter

125g caster sugar

cream together till very light and fluffy

drop in a teaspoon of chocolate extract and a drop of rum (or marsala)

add 300g self raising flour and 30g of the best cocoa you can lay your paws on

mix until it forms a dough, bring together with your hands and divide into small walnut sized balls (I get maybe 28 from this recipe)

place on a non stick cookie sheet, they spread only a little

mark the tops gently with fork tines

bake for five minutes then reduce the temp to 150, bake 15 minutes more

remove from oven and allow them a minute on the tray, them move gently to a wire rack till cool

these cookies have the most amazing light, melting, shortbreadish texture, but also this smoky dark flavour, I love them for cookie crusts.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

You could just lighten your base with some stabilized whipped cream or whipped egg whites, which would be faster/easier than an Italian meringue.

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

• 2 weeks later...