• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher Salt

Norman Walsh

I don't know that exact answer but can tell you that different forms of salt must be used by weight NOT volume. For instance a cup of Morton's Kosher Salt weighs nearly 8 oz. where a cup of Diamond's Kosher Salt weighs in at 4.8 oz.

I have no " table salt" in my house so I couldn't weigh it out to give you the answer, sorry.

Edited by RobertCollins (log)

Robert

Seattle

In the U.S., for all practical purposes, 1 table salt = 1.5 Morton's = 2 Diamond Crystal. I would assume the products are the same in the U.K., but I don't know for sure. As RobertCollins mentions, though, if you measure once by weight, you'll then have your conversion rule for that product.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Except that if a recipe specifically calls for kosher salt there may be a reason for that beyond quantity. It may be that you're being asked to put crystals of kosher salt on top of oatmeal cookies before baking, or it may be that you're salting a piece of meat, etc. In such applications, if you switch to table salt, you're going to alter or possibly ruin the recipe. In a soup or any recipe where the salt is totally dissolved, though, yes, you can do a volume conversion based on equal weight.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Most recipes seem to call for kosher salt simply because it has no additives. Table salt has anti-caking agents and iodine salts added to (a) reduce water absorption and make it run smoothly and (b) stop backwoods folk from getting goitre.

Aside from the differing densities of salt presentations, a purest attitude says use unadulterated salt – organic or natural (no additives), although why so many recommend the highly expensive, branded Maldon salt over the cheaper and equally good tasting salts, is beyond my reasoning.

If you really want to feel bewildered, try reading Steingarten It Must’ve Been Something I Ate on his experiences of tasting different salts.

i use almost exclusively kosher salt in my cooking (diamond crystal), but it certainly has nothing to do with any perceived "impurities" or "additives" in table salt. I use it because of the flake. I find a) i can control it better when i'm sprinkling it, and b) it doesn't seem to melt and be absorbed onto the food as readily as fine grind.

though Jeff is a dear friend and i have all the respect in the world for his work, in the case of that story, if i recall correctly, he tasted all of the salts dissolved in water, which would eliminate the issue of texture completely.

It seems to me that kosher salt disolves me easily and imparts more of a complimentary flavor to whatever it is you're cooking. Where as table salt seems to have a flavor that lingers and easily overpowers a dish. I don't know how many dishes I've ruined because I added just a little too much table salt. It seems counter-intuitive to me but apparently because the grains in table salt are so small they don't disolve well. Kosher salt is far more forgiving.

You’re right about the taste test – all dissolved in water which, of course, removes the element of texture but highlights the differences in taste from the trace minerals. Texture is also critical if sprinkling salt on food or when you want it to dissolve quickly (sauces) or, perhaps, slowly (salt-crusted fish).