• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lady Baltimore/7 min frosting

JeanneCake

I have an order for a Lady Baltimore cake for a 25th anniversary on Saturday. I baked the cake today and am very tempted to make a Swiss Meringue as the 7-min frosting and filling (not atdding the butter) rather than the traditional recipe I've found. (To fill in the details, a Lady Baltimore cake is a white cake, with a 7-minute frosting filling that contains raisins, pecans and sometimes maraschino cherries. The outside is just plain 7-min frosting.)

What I don't know is whether or not I can let this stand overnight in a humid walk-in without having it deflate, weep or otherwise cause problems. Just about everything I do is either italian meringue b'crm or ganache or mousse or something like that.

It also suddenly dawned on me that these Lady Baltimore cakes I've been reading about are single cakes, not torted into three cake layers/two filling layers which is what I usually do. With proper support (I use the bubble tea straws for support) it should be ok. It's a three tier cake, 12/9/6. But now I'm wondering if this is going to work at all.

Anyone ever done this type of cake before?

My limited experience with 7-minute frosting is that it isn't a keeper ... it deflates, weeps etc. overnight. Looks great, and tastes good, slathered on a cake mid-afternoon for serving after dinner, but the next day ... not. Susan

I haven't had that problem. Hubby likes yellow cake torted with 7-minute frosting inside and out with coconut on the outside. It's been awhile but I think I store it uncovered in the fridge and just put wax paper against the cut side. Saturday's pretty close but you might want to take a minute tonight to whip up a small batch and just test it in your walk-in to make sure.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 2 months later...

I'd like to make a chocolate cake and fill it with 7-minute frosting for use in about a week. Do you think I could freeze it? IMBC freezes well but the 7-minute frosting has no butter. Anyone tried?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden