• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York City Italian-American Restaurants

Harry

I second Piccolo Angolo (Hudson & Jane)....solid old style. And entertainment from the owner to boot. Just dont allow him to sell you no name wine in a carafe.

Monte's (on McDougal) is not a bad choice.

I would have said Minetta Tavern (also McDougal) if my last dinner there wasnt totally mediocre. Great old line Italian back room though.

Il Mulino if you can get in. Stick to the basics, dont allow yourself to be upsold on everything, and come with an appetite. The food's still not beatable for this style, although I trek out to the LI branch to avoid the drama (that one's on Open Table).

Manducatis in LIC (that's Queens); Queen in Brooklyn. Forget Bamonte's (sorry... it's terrible).

Go to DiFara's and have Maggie make you a hero sandwich to eat while you wait for slices.

Okay, here's the deal with Becco and crowds. Because it's in the theater district, it is absolutely mobbed for dinner from 5:30pm until just before 8pm. But after that I've found it to be just fine. Don't go right at 8pm -- the staff will still be shell shocked -- but at 8:30pm Becco is usually not a madhouse. Also, table selection matters. There are some very cozy areas of the restaurant upstairs and in the way back. You need to get away from the bar area and the big open room to the left. One other Becco tip: don't go assuming it's only good for pasta. The other dishes can be quite good.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago we had to overnight near JFK and went to Don Peppe. Totally classic Italian-American right down to the house red served in recycled bottles at about 40F. Unforgetable experience.

• 9 months later...
I think Rich's recommendations are very solid. He's got the experience with this cuisine, and he speaks from the perspective of someone who loves it. I do think he's made a category error with Felidia, though. I would not go to Felidia for classic Italian-American cuisine. It's way too upscale, way too refined for that. Of the Bastianich places, I'd recommend Becco as the classic Italian-American. (Becco, not Felidia, is the model for the KC and Pittsburgh restaurants). Indeed, I recommend Becco all the time -- literally dozens of times a year -- to people looking for a high-quality but not ridiculously overpriced pasta-and-osso-buco experience.

Okay, so maybe we should start a new category with Felidia - Upscale, refined Italian-American. :laugh:

Never been to Becco, will try it.

I agree Becco is better than Felidia.

Felidia was the most disappointing , overpriced, horrible meal ...

The food was nothing like Lidia's on tv. It was bland, and I can make better food at home. What a total rip off.

Becco at least has that great antipasto, and some pretty decent pasta, and prices are great.