• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mamster

Anonymity

3 posts in this topic

To what lengths do you think a restaurant critic should go to remain anonymous? I assume you reserve under pseudonyms or guest names, but have you ever put on a disguise? Been recognized in a restaurant and had to figure out how to deal with it?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I've never worn a disguise (except 10 extra pounds). My strong suspicion is that New Jersey restaurateurs do not spend their days expecting a visit from a restaurant critic -- unlike their Manhattan counterparts, who live in constant fear of a Grimes landing.

Oh, and have I ever been recognized? Not on a first visit, I'm reasonably sure, and I've never knowingly been recognized even on a second visit.

But maybe dozens of chefs are laughing behind their hands at the naïveté of that remark.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0