• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunshine Coast

winegeek

My wife and I are planning a day trip over to the sunshine coast. We are actaully exploring the idea of a possible move there.

While I realize that the SSC is not exactly "foodie heaven", are there any decent places in Gibsons or Sechelt for dinner? Has anyone spent some time over there?

Thanks!

Edited by winegeek (log)

Derek

It is a bleak wasteland Derek - at least as of 2 summers ago (2005).

Please advise if you find any gems, or even attractive rocks.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

There is an Italian place near that main intersection as you come into Sechelt, i can't remember the name of it but there aren't too many so i'm sure it will be easy to find! They had really good paninis

Actually years back (2001) I went to a decent little Thai place in Powell River, just up from the Texada Island ferry dock (and down from that Mexican place I bet you're thinking of). Very old school, as in we spotted the chef dipping his ladel into the soup and sipping out of it to taste - before dropping it back in the pot. Whatever, as I recall his taste buds were on*

But that's yet another ferry and more driving from Sechelt.

*Disclaimer - my Thai food education was about a grade 2 equivalency at that point. I am happily up to middle school now.

We passed through Sechelt a couple of years ago and enjoyed the funky Wheatberries Bakery. There are some great bookshops in that town too.

Best thing to do is buy seafood off the boats and cook it on the beach, especially if you're up there in spot prawn season.

There's a little café in Robert's Creek--The Gumboot Café. I've never been, but it might be fun to check out.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

• 1 month later...

Hello,

This is my first post here.

I have been out of the country for some time and I came on these forums to catch up on what is going on in this region.

If you are interested in dining on the Sunshine Coast, then you should come and check out the dining room in the resort where I have recently taken the Chef position.

Rockwater Resorts

My last position in the area was the Interim Chefs position at the Raincity Grill back in 2001, where I was the Sous Chef for 1.5 years before that (between Scott Kidd and Sean Cousins). Since then I have been traveling including a stint at the French Laundry in California and the Boxwood Cafe in London.

This resort is very progressive and they are moving in a very interesting direction. The tent house suites are spectacular, the location incredible and the future growth inspiring.

We still have a lot of work to do, but I believe it is a great start to increasing the culinary range for the beautiful Sunshine Coast.

The menu on the website is my first draft of change for the dining at the resort. It will be a slow process to get the food to where we want it, but we are en route and business is good and picking up. Hiring staff and updating the kitchen has been our greatest challenge so far, but we are picking up some good people and are preparing for a massive renovation in the fall.

I hope you make it up and I look forward to hearing about your meal...

Steven Ewing,

Executive Chef

Rockwater Secret Cove Resort

PS: The Italian Place that was mentioned above is called The Old Boot. It is pretty good. Simple North American Italian, done well...

Interesting as I entered the thread thinking about my visit to the rockwater resort a few weeks ago.

I found the menu online from the bed and breakfast I stayed at (beachhideaway.com which was awesome).

Checked out the rockwater site to see a revised menu no longer featuring duck, but that was fine. It did list a slow season prix fare menu for ~$28 that seemed like a great deal, but mainly the menu looked quite nice.

Went there with the girl and had a seat with a great view. Got the menus to see no mention of the prix fare menu. It being a nice date, I didn't feel like bringing this up with the waiter. Of course, I have to take some responsibility for not inquiring about it, but you must understand that no guy wants to look cheap on a date. ;) Note: the slow season prix fare is still listed on the site as of this post.

I ordered the wild boar belly confit, she the apple ginger gazpacho to start, both of which were delicious. The boar belly was crazy good, served with gooseberries and rhubarb and was perfect. A little coarse salt on top really gave it a wonderful salty first impression but gave way to a more subtle seasoning underneath. Her gazpacho was much different than expected, since it was composed of tiny cubes of apple, peppers umm... my memory is failing me now, but I think a green apple and ginger sorbet on top, but despite the odd configuration, delicious and a great surprise.

I ordered the pork chop main which was excellent. I brine a lot of pork at home, but this set the bar even higher for me. It was really phenomenal.

She ordered the ribeye which came closer to medium than the medium rare that she ordered. She didn't want to send it back, but neither of us loved it. To make her happy, I shared quite a few bites of my porkchop with her which she loved.

Nothing on the dessert menu leapt at me, but had I ordered the $28 prix fare, I'm sure I could have picked something to eat.

Service started well and the waiter was quite pleasant, but when the table next to us decided to start ordering food (and lots of wine it seems), our waiter seemed a bit overwhelmed and it became a bit hard to get some attention.

Gorgeous view, some great plates but a slight stumble on the steak. Well intended service but again some minor stumbledge.

I'd go back, especially if I was to stay in their crazy waterfront tent suites. They don't come cheap though.

Oh, also ate at molly's reach of beachcombers fame earlier in the day and found ther poutine to be quite excellent. They seem to toss it in the broiler after applying the cheese and it comes out with some beautiful browning that made the taste and texture fabulous. it may not be traditionaly but it was mighty good. My crab and shrimp croissant was doing me fairly well except for the chunk of crab shell I found in one bite which really did a lot to leave me with a not as awesome memory of it.

I contacted our web master and had her take the $27.95 menu off of the site. It was supposed to be for our winter season and has been over for quite some time now. I apologize for the inconvenience.

I thank you for the feedback regarding your meal and I appreciate the constructive criticism.

We are still working out the kinks and we are only two kitchen staff members from being fully staffed!

I hope you make it out for another visit.

If anyone else visits us, then please let me know about your experience.

Thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here are some suggestions for eating on the Sunshine Coast:

Spence's in Sechelt - A new restaurant, but very good reports. Hi end.

The Upper Deck - at Secret Cove marina - a view second to none - the upper part of the store. Make reservations, popular.

Rockwater Cafe - review above

Wheatberries - a new spot in Gibsons - very much fashioned after the "Bread Garden". salads great bread, paninis, great coffee, wraps, etc.

The Old Boot - Italian in Sechelt. One of the brothers to open soon in Gibsons.

Leo's - Greek in Lower Gibsons

Gramma's Pub - Lower Gibsons - fabulous view over the Sound and North Shore mountains, docks and marina. Good pub food.

Gumboot Cafe - in Roberts Creek. An institution. Moved next door - about 1 1/2 years ago - from the site of the "old" cafe to where the "Creekhouse Restaurant" used to be.

Truffles Cafe - Lower Gibsons. Small cafe, great muffins, lunches. Locals love it. Homecooking, reasonable prices.

The SC is not Vancouver for good eats, but not exactly a "bleak wasteland". You can do much better than Pizza Hut in IGA.

Edited by forever_young_ca (log)

Life is short, eat dessert first

Is Gramma's pub the one across from Molly's Reach? If it is, I'll add a strong recommendation. Really outstanding food, we had fish and chips (me) and a burger (him). Homemade, delicious, nicely presented.

(If the pub across from Molly's Reach ISN'T Gramma's, then do this. Go to Molly's Reach. Linger not. Cross the street. Eat at the pub on the corner. That's the one I mean....just can't remember the name. I can remember the view, which was awesome.)

Sherry

Is Gramma's pub the one across from Molly's Reach? If it is, I'll add a strong recommendation.  Really outstanding food, we had fish and chips (me) and a burger (him). Homemade, delicious, nicely presented.

(If the pub across from Molly's Reach ISN'T Gramma's, then do this. Go to Molly's Reach. Linger not. Cross the street. Eat at the pub on the corner. That's the one I mean....just can't remember the name. I can remember the view, which was awesome.)

Sherry

I so wish we hadn't lingered...we ate at Molly's Reach and what a nightmare. They really don't seem to care at all that you're even in the restaurant. And it wasn't that way just for us. Our whole section had to wait 30 - 40 minutes for lunch. No apology and the only time she checked back was to ask if she could take our ketchup for another table. My husband waited for several minutes at the till for someone to take his money and eventually had to stop one of the waitresses. They weren't busy, just chatting away. Arghhhhh!!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 11 months later...

speaking of robert's creek was just there on monday, did i miss something or is that lame, hippy dippy gumboot cafe the only place in "town" to eat, walked in there and decided on the spot that i was going back to Gramma's and had a nice little steak neptune with the great views as well

speaking of robert's creek was just there on monday, did i miss something or is that lame, hippy dippy gumboot cafe the only place in "town" to eat, walked in there and decided on the spot that i was going back to Gramma's and had a nice little steak neptune with the great views as well

If you'd walked on a hundred yards, you'd have found the Gumboot Restaurant. On Friday night, the special was a rib eye steak - which looked great.

I'm back from a weekend near Sechelt. We didn't eat out much in Sechlet (bbq'd at the (rented) cottage instead). We at at Grandma's for lunch on the way in and enjoyed it so much, we returned for dinner on the way home. Quite good pub food (great fries!) and a great view, especially if you snag a table on the veranda.

We had lunch at the Lighthouse pub in Sechelt on day - nice setting overlooking the inlet and float plane dock. The BBQ was fired up that day, so I had the BBQ chicken. Well prepared, nothing special but no complaints either.

The Wheatberries bakeries seemed to be everywhere, including the ferry terminal.

I'm back from a weekend near Sechelt. We didn't eat out much in Sechlet  (bbq'd at the (rented) cottage instead). We at at Grandma's for lunch on the way in and enjoyed it so much, we returned for dinner on the way home. Quite good pub food (great fries!)  and a great view, especially if you snag a table on the veranda.

We had lunch at the Lighthouse pub in Sechelt on day - nice setting overlooking the inlet and float plane dock.  The BBQ was fired up that day, so I had the BBQ chicken. Well prepared, nothing special but no complaints either.

The Wheatberries bakeries seemed to be everywhere, including the ferry terminal.

La Manzanita in Powell River is a small restaurant in the old court house at the original townsite. The room is bright with many south-facing windows. I ate there a month ago and had good service and excellent roasted chicken with the best green asparagus I have ever had. The owner is from San Francisco and knows her food.

• 3 weeks later...