• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuffed veal chops....

Jan Primus

I've wanted to make stuffed veal chops for a long time, though I'm not really sure what to stuff them with. I just picked up some really thick chops (atleast 2") so they should be easy to work with atleast. I was thinking goat cheese and bacon...but will the cheese get too melted and ooze out since these will need to spend some time on the grill...sear first then indirect heat til medium rare...open to suggestions, just nothing to complex please. Thanks.

What kind of veal is it and where is it from?

Just curious. I think I would stear away from something as strong as bacon and goats cheese for my personal taste. I would look to something fatty and mild, like a fantastic little cheese made by my friend and cheese genius Eddie Bestbier, about 6 miles from me. Maybe with a little sage?

I'm looking forward to the suggestions from the propper chefs. Are there any established "classics" when stuffing veal?

www.naturalfarms.co.uk ~ our wholesale butchery

www.sussexfarms.blogspot.com ~ our pie kitchen

I've wanted to make stuffed veal chops for a long time, though I'm not really sure what to stuff them with. I just picked up some really thick chops (atleast 2") so they should be easy to work with atleast. I was thinking goat cheese and bacon...but will the cheese get too melted and ooze out since these will need to spend some time on the grill...sear first then indirect heat til medium rare...open to suggestions, just nothing to complex please. Thanks.

Stuff with thin slices of fontina, prosciutto and morels (or other wild mushroom in season) and make a pan sauce of sauteed mushrooms, garlic, thyme, shallots with white wine added at the last moment and finished with a little butter. Really, really good! :rolleyes:

Kate

Here is a recipe I did for stuffed veal chops. It was part of a story I wrote about food in the original Godfather movie. The stuffing is also very good tossed with hot pasta.

Spinach and Ricotta Filling

1 10oz. package frozen, chopped spinach

1/3 cup pine nuts

1 ½ cups ricotta cheese

1 egg

¼ cup grated Asiago cheese

¼ cup chopped Italian parsley

½ tsp. dried oregano

Salt and fresh ground black pepper

Place the of frozen spinach in a colander and run under cold water. Let the spinach fully thaw. Wrap the spinach in a piece of cheesecloth and squeeze out all of the moisture. Keep the drained spinach in a small bowl until ready to make the ricotta filling.

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pine nuts to the dry skillet and toast just until the pine nuts start to brown, about 2-3 minutes.

In a large bowl add the drained spinach, toasted pine nuts, ricotta, egg, and Asiago. Stir the ricotta mixture until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.

Add the parsley and dried oregano and season the filling with salt and black pepper to taste.

Cover and refrigerate the filling until ready to use.

Veal Chops

4 1” thick veal chops

1 tablespoon olive oil

Salt and fresh ground black pepper

½ cup white wine

1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley

2 tablespoons capers

2 tablespoons butter

Italian parsley for garnish

Using a small paring knife, cut a slit into the center of the veal chop to create a pocket. The tip of the knife should cut done to the bone. The slit should be about 3” in length.

Using a meat tenderizer or small mallet, gently beat on each flap of meat on the veal chop to flatten it. This will create two flaps of meat for encasing the filling.

Place about 3 tablespoons of the ricotta filling in the center of the pocket in the veal chop. Then use toothpicks to close the pocket.

Preheat the oven to 425F.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the veal chops with salt and pepper.

Add the veal chops to the hot skillet and sear just until the chops start to caramelize, about 2-3 minutes. Turn the veal chops over and sear the other side another 2-3 minutes.

Place the skillet with the veal chops into the oven and roast just until the chops are done and the ricotta filling is warmed through, about 15 minutes. To test for doneness, press the middle of each chop with your finger, it should be firm to the touch.

Remove the chops from the oven and place on a cookie rack to cool while you make the sauce. Place the skillet on top of the oven over medium-high heat.

Add the white wine and parsley to the hot skillet to deglaze the pan juices. Let the wine reduce by 1/3 and then add the capers and butter. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir the sauce to incorporate the butter.

Remove the toothpicks from the veal chops and place the chops on a serving platter.

Spoon the white wine sauce over the top of the chops and garnish with sprigs of Italian parsley.