• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Milk Sweets

Gul_Dekar

Hi my friend mentioned that her relatives often go back to India and buy these Indian milk sweets which are diamond in shape and come in various flavours like pistachio and so on. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what they are called and if possible where I could find a recipe to make my own? Are they difficult to make?

I live in Malaysia and apparently they don't sell them here so I was just really curious about them.

Would REALLY REALLY be grateful for any help!

It sounds like your friend is referring to barfi/burfi/burfee (and also any other variant spelling you can think of).

They should be available in Kuala Lumpur. They are mentioned in this blog for example, but that is just one of the hits I got when I typed in 'burfi' and 'Kuala Lumpur'.

Now that you have the name you will find that there are numerous recipes online, ranging from the more laborious, reduce-the-milk-yourself type, to various short-cut types using condensed milk, milk powder, etc. None of them are particularly difficult to make.

• 3 months later...