• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquid-ish chocolate

Tri2Cook

Is there a method/additive/whatever that will help keep chocolate somewhat liquid (even thin paste-like would be ok) at average room temp without making it taste bad? I know oil works but results with that didn't end up tasting too good to me.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

First, can we find out what you want to do with this chocolate at room temperature?

In chocolate fountains they use oil or extra cocoa butter to make the chocolate more fluid, but the chocolate still has to be warmed to remain fluid.

Different types of oil could be tried to minimize the flavour issues, like hazelnut or walnut oil, which might not taste quite so bad with the chocolate. You can often find them more reasonably priced at Homesense or Winners.

I want a fairly thin paste that still tastes like chocolate without a lot of additional sweetness and doesn't require warming to stay somewhat fluid. I hadn't thought of using walnut or hazelnut oils, that's a good idea if I can get the ratio down so that the result isn't too oily (a problem with oil-thinned fountain chocolate in my opinion, even when the flavor is ok there's still that "oily" taste/feel). The problem with cream is the required refrigeration to extend the shelf life past a few days. What I'm trying to accomplish is a gift for friends of mine who are celebrating an anniversary soon. I want to come up with a set of body paints for them that don't have to be heated and actually taste good (as compared with the commercial ones that don't taste too good... ummm, that's what I've heard anyway... or the basic ganache type which require refrigeration and heating). That way they can paint on cookies or something and eat them. Yep, that's what it's for. Strictly G-rated stuff here. liar.gif

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

A simple and effective chocolate sauce can be made from drinking chocolate powder (or cocoa powder plus sugar) and water. Just add some freshly boiled water (about 50:50 water to cocoa), stir and cool. Intense chocolate taste, the consistency of paint, and quick.