• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

looking for the BEST fatty tuna !

Ono Loa

I REALLY want to treat myself to some great sushi. 

where do i go to get the absloute BEST maguro?

any help?

Mahalo

I'm not a big maguro eater, I'm a hamachi lover.

I noticed that Yanagi sushi has a sashimi special of chu-toro, it's not the super premium o-toro, but might be worth a try.

I like Sushi Masa in Ward Center but not sure if he carries toro. I bet Yohei, Ideta, Maguro-ya or Sushi King would have a good maguro.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Not to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned hamachi, would you recommend the same places for hamachi?

Not only the hamachi but maguro chutoro and otoro at mitch's were superb. hamachi is also excellent at tokkuri-tei when the sushi guy filets a whole fish on the spot. you can even ask for the hamachi toro if your system can handle it...rich rich rich!

• 3 months later...
at mitch's were superb.  hamachi is also excellent at tokkuri-tei when the sushi guy filets a whole fish on the spot. you can even ask for the hamachi toro if your system can handle it...rich rich rich!

Mitch's was excellent. Persuaded a friend to buy a round ticket to Honolulu for only 2.5hrs just to goto Mitch's and it was well worthwhile. Getting that kind of quality of fish is very difficult from where I am. Otoro, lobster sashimi etc is rare where I live. Lobster miso soup was excellent. Thanks for the tip!