• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jarred Foie Gras - Any Advice?

MissAmy

My roommate just returned from a European vacation, and brought back many fun and lovely gifts. One of those was a jar of foie gras from France. I have never used jarred foie gras, and only have experience with fresh, raw foie.

Do I use this stuff the same way? Can I sear it with the same results? Will it taste the same? I love foie gras, and this was a very thoughtful present, I simply need some advice as to what to do with it!

Thanks so much in advance.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

By its very nature, it is fully cooked and pasturized. Use and spread.

-Dick

Concur - jarred and/or canned FG should not be re-cooked. However, you can "dress it up" if you like with various jams, jellies, chutneys, or simple caramelized onions. Quince paste is also another classic accompaniment. But simple, brioche toast points that will showcase the richness of the foie is probably preferred.

Thank you both!

I have some fig and balsamic jam. I think I'm going to pair it with the foie and some nice bread for a dinner party I'm hosting in a few weeks. Yum. Thanks again!

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!