• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying Spices

PDC

Does anyone here know of any good websites or stores that sell spices? I've googled around a bit but personal recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

any Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Easter or Western European or Asian market have very inexpensive and fresh herbs and spices ...

there are a bunch of online sources but to be honest I have not ordered except from www.saffron.com

I love to go buy them in stores

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

A previous discussion that may help:

"Online Source for Spices"

And another discussion:

"mail order spices, i searched for that post i thought i saw"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm lucky enough to live by the Spice House, and I can definitely say everything there is stellar. They're still small enough that they can grind spices fresh each week, and they often have a wide selection within individual spices. I highly recommend them.

I used to buy all my spices from Penzeys until I realized that the local warehouse club had a lot of the same things for much less. I get whatever I can from Costco/BJ's, buy most of my mexican spices from the local mexican store, and my indian spices at the indian shops. They're all much cheaper than Penzey's and I can't tell the difference in flavor.

Anything I can't find locally I'll go to Penzeys for.

Another vote for Penzey's. I find that their customer service is great and they often put a freebie in with my order. I love their Florida Seasoned Pepper and I don't usually like blends.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

I'm in Canada, but I've used the Spice House quite often and have been really pleased.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks for all the great leads everyone!  Keep 'em coming!

How many more do you want? Google has 2,060,000 choices. Unless you go uber specialized in your spice needs, you will find everything you need at what's been mentioned already.

Is there a particular spice or shop you're looking for?

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Thanks for all the great leads everyone!  Keep 'em coming!

How many more do you want? Google has 2,060,000 choices. Unless you go uber specialized in your spice needs, you will find everything you need at what's been mentioned already.

Is there a particular spice or shop you're looking for?

I don't really have any specialized needs, I'm just tired of using supermarket spcies that have been sitting around for God knows how long.

I know how many choices Google has, that's why I came here for some personal recommendations. I figure if there's anyplace populated with people who have definite opinions on the subject this would be it.