• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pierre Herme

cabrales

Thanks so much for pointing out the macaron thread, bleud'auvergne. I obviously still have lots of reading to do on EGullet.

Les macarons from Saint-Emilion are simply cookies made with ground almonds and meringue, with no filling. They are much simpler than their Northern cousins. When they are good they are crispy at the edges and chewy in the middle. They're quite addictive and it's easy to eat a dozen. At Maison Blanchez they claim to use the original recipe from the monks of Saint-Emilion, dating back to 1620.

My husband is completely unhelpful... "Le macaron parfait est de Saint-Emilion, de chez Blanchez. Il faut qu'ils les goutent" I guess you just have to go there!

I will probably have to go back to Herme's and try the more traditional flavors (no rose or olive oil!), but there are so many other highly touted patisseries to try also. I have a plan to get a couple of macarons from each of 4 or 5 patisseries and take them home to do our own little taste comparison. I just found http://www.lemeilleurmacarondeparis.com/ so maybe I can use that as a launching point.

p.s. We can get Bernachon chocolates in Paris, but not macarons. The chocolate is very good but so intense I can eat very little at one time. It's almost too much for me.

Edited by mangosteen (log)

As I'm writing this I realize I really did choose some of the wackier flavours.  Maybe I should have stuck with the caramel, chocolate, vanilla varieties? 

Herme's chocolate and caramel macarons are absolutely phenomenal. I've never been a big fan of the crazy concoctions when it comes to macarons. I've always thought his are unparalleled.

I so wanted to try the mini-kougelhopf, but I waited till our last day, and all were gone when we got there.

Here are the interiors of two favorites: Ispahan and a chocolate-yuzu creation.

gallery_10136_2514_90033.jpg

gallery_10136_2514_47538.jpg

And just in case that last one looks a little scary (it brings back delicious memories for me), here they are in full form:

gallery_10136_2514_122732.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Pierre Hermé was the guest on a French radio show that airs from Mondays to Fridays, on France Musique. Every day, the host invites a different prominent figure in French society (anyone from singers to economists to philosophers to athletes) and, through a one-hour interview interspersed with musical selections chosen by the guest, offers a new perspective on the person.

Here's the link, but it will only be accessible until 1 PM French time, on Monday 11 June, when it will be replaced by the latest programme...

http://www.radiofrance.fr/francemusique/em...sion.php?e_id=7

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Pierre Hermé fans won't want to miss eG Society member Fanny's posts about her experience as an intern in the famous pastry chef's kitchen, you can read all about it HERE

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

• 3 months later...

According to Gayot.com, for Christmas this year, Pierre Hermé will introduce several new flavors of macaroon: white truffle-hazelnut, fig-elgantine rose-foie gras and chocolate-foie gras. “A black truffle Yule Log” will also be featured.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

According to Gayot.com, for Christmas this year, Pierre Hermé will introduce several new flavors of macaroon: white truffle-hazelnut, fig-elgantine rose-foie gras and chocolate-foie gras. “A black truffle Yule Log” will also be featured.

this sounds totally worth buying a eurostar ticket for!

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by Pierre Hermé last week, and was very surprised by the excessive amount of ganache used for the macarons. As a big fan of macarons, I was disappointed. But, the individual cakes, particularly the Ispahan, were delicious. My complete report with photos is available here.