• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Varieties

snowangel

This is a cruel thread for those of us who are MONTHS away from tasting a fresh local tomato. I've kept myself from dreaming about them, until now.

Do you have access to a local farmers market where you can get good tomatoes in season? I ask because with a five plant limit, you might want to grow what you otherwise can't get or don't want to pay for. For example, my yield for brandywines is always terrible so I've stopped trying to grow them and gladly pay the premium. Conversely, I resent paying for cherry tomatoes when I know the plants produce seemingly endless pounds of fruit for months. I have also found that a meaty plum tomato can be an incredibly versatile thing to have in the backyard for quick salsas, pasta sauces, etc. This was a surprise to me, since the tasteless, waxed plums in the supermarket are so useless, and I rarely see them at the farmers market. The lesson there is "what do you want to have at hand at the last minute?" for everyday cooking and eating.

Leaving aside those practical considerations, my personal favorites are: green zebras, brandywines, and sungold cherries. When I lived in Missouri, with a longer growing season, I was addicted to a low-acid yellow variety (name unknown) but I haven't had a good one since I moved to the Northeast.

A good book to have would be Smith & Hawken: 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden by Carolyn J. Male who is active among all things internet and tomatoey.

I think it is the definitive guide.

BTW, a great fertilizer for tomatoes is fish oil. It's organic, and mimics the native American custom of placing a dead fish under each plant. I use Coast of Maine Salmon Oil, a superior product. Just don't get any on your clothes when mixing it. I spilled a few drops in a rental car, and had to spend a day scrubbing it out!

BTW, a great fertilizer for tomatoes is fish oil. It's organic, and mimics the native American custom of placing a dead fish under each plant. I use Coast of Maine Salmon Oil, a superior product. Just don't get any on your clothes when mixing it. I spilled a few drops in a rental car, and had to spend a day scrubbing it out!

Seconded, on both of your points! :biggrin:

It is sometimes sold as fish emulsion. It's just chum. Works for everything, blossoms and root development.

While I agree with the comments about a lot depending on climate, I must recommend (albeit up in the north, in NY state), Eva Purple Ball. Grew it last year and was thrilled with it -- thought it had the taste of a brandywine but not as massive in size, which is nice when you are looking for something smaller than a two-pounder!

Emily