• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Hiroyuki - Home-style Japanese cooking

Hiroyuki

My wife is recuparating steadily, and my son went to school today!  (So, what was that high fever two days ago? :huh: )

I'm so glad to hear that your wife is recovering!

Oh, and your son. I'm glad that he is better, too. That high fever is what we call an FUO -- fever (of) unknown origin. They only happen when it is inconvenient for the parent(s) :laugh: .

Thank you so much for sharing your life and giving us a tour of a part of the world that I have never seen!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I've been reading your blog and enjoying it very much - I'm sorry to see it come to an end. One of the many reasons I enjoyed it is that so many of the dishes you made are things that I have no idea what they would taste like, or even where I would start to find the ingredients around here. I love adventures like that, and thank you for sharing a week of your life with us.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Pan:
Wait. Instant dashi isn't made from niboshi? If not, what's it made from?

Some kind of liquid (waste, by-product,... I don't know how to call it) from a katsuobushi factory, industrially processed, mixed with SMG, and, ... turned into a beautiful, tasty product.

Disclaimer: I have never seen how instant dashi is actually made. The story above is just from what I read in a book.[...]

I'd love to hear more about this. I don't remember what katsuobushi is. Maybe someone can point me to a thread in the Japan forum that addresses this?

I'm glad your son's better and your wife's condition is improving.

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan:
Wait. Instant dashi isn't made from niboshi? If not, what's it made from?

Some kind of liquid (waste, by-product,... I don't know how to call it) from a katsuobushi factory, industrially processed, mixed with SMG, and, ... turned into a beautiful, tasty product.

Disclaimer: I have never seen how instant dashi is actually made. The story above is just from what I read in a book.[...]

I'd love to hear more about this. I don't remember what katsuobushi is. Maybe someone can point me to a thread in the Japan forum that addresses this?

OK, katsuobushi is on the right one in this photo.

gallery_16375_4570_34704.jpg

Dried bonito. The bag on the left contained niboshi (simmered and dried sardines). Do you remember now? :smile:

OK, katsuobushi is on the right one in this photo.

gallery_16375_4570_34704.jpg

Dried bonito. The bag on the left contained niboshi (simmered and dried sardines). Do you remember now? :smile:

Thanks. I think I get it now. Katsuobushi is dried bonito and dashi is broth that was traditionally made from katsuobushi. Is that right?

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks. I think I get it now. Katsuobushi is dried bonito and dashi is broth that was traditionally made from katsuobushi. Is that right?

Right, but you can also get dashi from kombu, too. The two dashi, one from katsuobushi and the other from kombu, are often combined together to get synergistic effects.

We used to call those fevers the "24-hour flu".  Same as Susan's FUO.

AKA the galloping crud, or if running at (pardon it) both ends, the galloping gawd-awfuls.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

edited to ask; Hiroyuki, is it common to take walks in your area?

I read through my blog and found this unanswered question!

No, as I said somewhere on this thread, you can't live here without a car. I want to walk!!

I hope this is the only unanswered one. :smile:

Hiroyuki,

I wanted to add my thanks for doing this wonderful blog; I looked forward to reading it everyday. I know very little about Japanese cooking, and learnt a lot from your home cooking. I was very excited about buying shiro miso and some dashi (in a teabag)...I have yet to make something of them though. :raz: My best for your wife's speedy recovery.

Hiroyuki,

I wanted to add my thanks for doing this wonderful blog; I looked forward to reading it everyday. I know very little about Japanese cooking, and learnt a lot from your home cooking. I was very excited about buying shiro miso and some dashi (in a teabag)...I have yet to make something of them though.  :raz:  My best for your wife's speedy recovery.

Thanks!! :biggrin:

Two suggestions for now: 1. Put the miso (and probably the teabag too) in the freezer until you use them. The miso won't harden as a rock.

2. Consult a serious cook. :biggrin:

You can, of course, make wonderful, aromatic, flavorful, fishy miso soup with them anytime.

Note that shiro miso is much sweeter than aka (red) miso.