• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Hiroyuki - Home-style Japanese cooking

Hiroyuki

Good evening! My name is Hiroyuki, I'm 46 years old, and I live in a rural, snowy, rice-producing district in Niigata prefecture, Japan, 210 km to the north of Tokyo. I work at home as a freelance translator.

Just an introductory post for now, before I go to bed. It's about 10 o'clock in the evening in Japan.

I have a wife (45), a son (11), and a daughter (7). Unfortunately, my wife cannot join in my foodblog for the reason to be described later.

I'm not a food lover, I'm just a food eater, and now that I'm in my late 40s (and besides, my children are still small), I'm more concerned about health aspects of food than other aspects.

Shortly after she gave birth to her second child (daughter) in 1999, my wife developed some kind of disease, requiring me to help her a lot, especially in cooking. Early this year, her symptoms got worse, and now I am the main cook in the house. When I received a PM from Suzan (snowangel) in early March, asking if I was interested in foodblogging, I was in a very awkward situation. On April 13, my wife was finally hospitalized. Ironically, her hospitalization has made it possible for me to start foodblogging. I still feel uneasy about foodblogging, considering the situation I'm in, and I also feel somewhat guilty, but I hope I can finish my foodblog to the end.

Teaser photo:

The photo was not meant to be a teaser photo. It's the Komako statue, standing on the premises of Yuzawa Station. Komako is a geisha who appears in Kawabata Yasunari's masterpiece, "Snow Country". I was in need of a teaser photo, and I selected that one because I thought it was representative of the area where I live.

Here is a full version of the photo:

gallery_28660_4566_15771.jpg

My foodblog will focus on home-style Japanese cooking because that's what I can talk about Japanese cuisine, and it will also focus on a tour of Snow Country and surrounding areas.

As you can tell, English is not my native language, and I'm not very familiar with colloquial expressions because I studied it mainly from books. If you find any errors in my posts, fell free to let me know.

Lastly, my sincere thanks to Susan, who did all she could so I could start blogging in time. (I notified her of my intention to start blogging only a few days ago.)

My blog officially starts tomorrow. Until then, good night!

P.S.

Pan:

How did you know it was me?

Edited to add: Made a correction.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

I've always enjoyed your posts, Hiroyuki, so am glad to see you blogging, though it *is* a truly awesome task to undertake, in my opinion. Deep appreciation to you.

Your writings have touched upon some of the traditions that exist in your culture as a part of food and dining, and I really do love to hear about those.

I actually thought you were raised from youth bi-lingual, your English is so very good!

Perhaps within the blogging our good-energy thoughts of your wife will be sent, and will be received.

Thanks!

:smile:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

I've always enjoyed the threads and posts from Japan here on eGullet.

The shopping experience, especially the combini, interests me as much as the cooking and eating. Please take us along on some of your shopping trips.

SB (who also wishes to compliment you on your English :wink: )

Hiroyuki, my prayers and thoughts are with you and your wife. I am really looking forward to your blog, your posts, your thoughts... everything.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Very much looking forward to this blog, Hiroyuki. Thank you for taking the time to do it, and perhaps we can offer some support along the way.

Thanks also for the photo: "Snow Country" is one of my favorite books. Perhaps I'll be inspired to read it again.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Please accept my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for your wife, and for the strength to carry on for you.

As I almost never set foot in the Japan forum, all of this will be an education for me. I look forward to receiving the lessons.

Your teaser photo, however, leaves an opening for one of my other big areas of interest and curiosity, which those who've read my own foodblogs and posts on various boards already know. So to get this out of the way so we can get on with the food:

Yuzawa station is on the Japanese (National) Railways, I assume? Regular service or bullet train? Is this the closest station to where you live?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Hiroyuki, I have long valued your input and look forward to your blog. Your children are adorable.

Whatever small help it may be, you and your wife certainly have a whole slew of people around the globe sending good thoughts your way, to which I add mine.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

While I'm saddened to hear of your wife, I'm looking forward very much to your blog, Hiroyuki.

And my compliments on your choice for an opening picture, setting the stage for yukiguni. 

Peter

Looking forward to seeing and reading about snow world Hiroyuki, blog on, hope this will interest your wife and distract your children for a while....

I will be following this blog with great interest! I've never been to Japan but have an inexplicable fascination with the culture and the food. I look forward to a slice of true Japanese life.

Also, you're brave to take on blogging at a time which is obviously stressfull and difficult. I hope that maybe, blogging will take your mind off other stuff, and that our questions and comments will inspire you the way they inspired me when I was blogging!

I love that you will be talking about home-style cooking! And, assuming that your children are in school, will you please tell us about what they eat for lunch at school? Do you prepare a lunch for them, or do they purchase lunch at school? What do they eat for lunch on school days? Do your children help in cooking?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Hiroyuki, please know that I too am sending positive healing thoughts to your wife, and supportive thoughts to you and your household.

I have always appreciated your posts too. I happen to think the plain old slice-of-life everyday cooking info from around the world is one of the best gifts that eGullet has given me. And as you know I am keenly fascinated by the cooking of all the Asian countries, very much including Japan. Your posts have taught me a lot--and I look forward to learning more from your blog. I'm especially looking forward to learning more about rural Japan, as I think most of my expsoure has been to the more urbanized aspects of Japanese culture.

I might not get to comment on your blog a whole lot as I'll be traveling this week, but I'll definitely at least try to browse whenever I get my hands on an Internet connection. Good luck, and blog on!

P.S. I also think your English is great! Especially when I think about what it might take for me to master written Japanese to anything approaching a similar level! :smile:

Woo-hoo! You know I'll be an avid reader of your blog!

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's hospitalization. I didn't know about her illness. What a stressful time this must be for your family! I'm sending lots of good wishes her way.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Japan sounds like fun, right now. Thank you for blogging.

I hope the blogging turns out fun and not too much of a hassle for everyone.

Best hopes and wishes for you and your wife and your children.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

From one translator to another, I wish the best for your wife and hope that you and your kids are able to cope through a difficult period for your family. I am sure that it will bring you even closer together as a family.

I look forward to pictures of your countryside and garden.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I have been hoping you would do a foodblog!

I am also very sorry to hear about your wife, this must be a very difficult time for everyone. We will be keeping her in our thoughts.

What is the weather like up there?

Do you have any plans for Golden Week?*

*Golden Week normally runs from about 4/30 to 5/5 and nearly everyone in Japan is off from work and school, it is a common time for vacations abroad and within Japan. This year it is broken into two parts 4/28-4/30 and 5/3 to 5/6, the schools are in session and most people will be at work for 5/1 and 5/2.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Hiroyuki, I always enjoy your posts. You are very generous with your knowledge.

Thank you for blogging this week, I look forward to learning from you!

Please let me add my good wishes for your wife's recovery, and an extra hug for you and your beautiful children.

Can you talk a little about bento boxes? It seems as if they are an important part of Japanese culture and the arrangement and ingredients are symbolic of different things.

Thanks everyone for their welcoming, sympathetic, and complimentary messages!!

And I do hope my wife gets well soon.

therese:

I read the novel both in Japanese and English versions. I can assure you that the English version is as good as the original.

MarketSeEl:

You are correct. Yuzawa Station is a JNR station. You can use Joetsu Line, Joetsu Shinkansen (bullet train), and Hokuhoku Line (which actually starts at Muikamachi Station).

Yuzawa Station is the nearest bullet train station, about 20-minute ride from my house. Shiozawa Station is the nearest JNR station. It's on Joetsu Line.

snowangel:

I will post some info about my children's school lunch later.

They don't help me cook very much, and I don't ask them to. I'm sorry about that, but it takes a lot more time to cook with them around me.

torakris:

No, no major plans, except that I will go to Yuzawa Flower Festival on April 30.

I reread my initial post here and found an error. (blush)

Can you talk a  little about bento boxes? It seems as if they are an important part of Japanese culture and the arrangement and ingredients are symbolic of different things.

Hathor:

OK, I will see what I can do, later.

I'll be back with breakfast photos.

Before the breakfast photos, I'd like you to take a look at some other photos that I took this morning.

Negi:

gallery_16375_4570_35811.jpg

My father, who lives in Chiba (adjacent to Tokyo), is retired (ran a small construction company), and grows all kinds of vegetables and fruit. He kindly sends some of them to us. These negi are just one example. I like to eat them with natto (photo later).

I usually wake up between 5:30 and 6:00 in the morning, but today, I woke up at five. I knew I couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up, dressed, went out, and took this photo:

gallery_16375_4570_88035.jpg

The mountains are still capped with snow.

My area, Snow Country (with a capital S :smile: ), usually has up to 3 meters (10 feet) of snow in the wintertime. But in this particular winter, we had much less snow.

Fridge photos (obligatory? :biggrin: )

Appearance:

gallery_16375_4570_57951.jpg

Coincidentally, Kristin, the host of the Japan Forum, has exactly the same model. Even the color is the same :shock: .

Uppermost refrigerator compartment:

gallery_16375_4570_39202.jpg

Not much to see. My fridge is usually this full. I don't want to pack it with too many things. I usually go shopping twice a week.

Middle ice cube and partial freezing drawers:

gallery_16375_4570_124128.jpg

You are going to see some of the items here cooked for supper.

Lower vegetable compartment:

gallery_16375_4570_115748.jpg

Lowermost freezer compartment:

gallery_16375_4570_161.jpg

Freezer compartment, with the tray pulled back:

gallery_16375_4570_64876.jpg

Sorry, I need some green tea now. I'll be back soon. :smile: