• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet in Vogue

H. du Bois

eGullet receives a mention in Jeffrey Steingarten's column in the new May 07 issue of Vogue, page 276.

His topic is Jim Lahey's no-knead bread, made famous by Mark Bittman's article in the Times.

Steingarten speaks of the huge reaction among the food community, and states:

"On eGullet, the most fanatical and intellectual food site, and thus my favorite, there were so many posts that I gave up printing them after 150 pages; some members debated whether no-knead bread is truly an innovation, and whether it's as good as the old-fashioned kind."

My question-- in some of his older pieces, Steingarten, in addition to praising this site, refers to recipes (associated with whatever he's writing about) that he's supposedly posted here. He even gives a URL. Can't find them now. Are they still here and if so where?

About finding his writings online:

Vogue doesn't make his articles available, and I believe I read somewhere (maybe even the Q&A here?) Steingarten himself claiming his writings are not available on-line.

My main reason for posting is to note that transcriptions of his Vogue stuff from June '04 to the present can be found at www.accessmylibrary.com. In theory, you need to have a library card from a participating library; in my case, the state of Michigan provides access. Apparently, you can also simply register yourself for free.

The Men's Vogue site has two articles by Steingarten, the one on foie gras and one on knives. There are 2-3 things at slate.com and a number of videos at seriouseats.com

My question-- in some of his older pieces, Steingarten, in addition to praising this site, refers to recipes (associated with whatever he's writing about) that he's supposedly posted here.  He even gives a URL.  Can't find them now.  Are they still here and if so where?

http://www.egullet.org/tdg.cgi?pg=jeffrey

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)