• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Employment Contracts

chaosuk

The contract is a list of obligations for both you and your employer, so think of it as that.

Generally it might include; agreed pay, bonuses and /or raises based on performance goals set by parties, vacation time, insurance and benefits, scope of position, growth potential, length of contract, causes for breaking the contract, etc...

What a contract wont do anything for you is if a chef just quits. And the competition clauses that I've seen , none have been enforceable.

The contract is a list of obligations for both you and your employer, so think of it as that.

Generally it might include; agreed pay, bonuses and /or raises based on performance goals set by parties, vacation time, insurance and benefits, scope of position, growth potential,  length of contract, causes for breaking the contract, etc...

What a contract wont do anything for you is if a chef just quits. And the competition clauses that I've seen , none have been enforceable.

Are there any online resources as to such documents that you know off?

I have to say that you lot are useless. I got no worthwhile input at all from you bunch.

regards.

Wow, what did you expect. So far you have asked for everything regarding setting up your business from everyone else. Don't like the responses, do it yourself. You're welcome.

I have to say that you lot are useless. I got no worthwhile input at all from you bunch.

regards.

Wow, what did you expect. So far you have asked for everything regarding setting up your business from everyone else. Don't like the responses, do it yourself. You're welcome.

Most employment is at will where there is no contract. Many times one is promised things that are never delivered. "I'll start you at X amount and in such and such a time we'll go to XX amount. :rolleyes: The employee is not always able to make the employer make good on every jot, tittle and pledge. Passing out the free t-shirts.

Whether one has a contract or not the golden rule is what reigns in any employment or relational situation. Basically the guys who sign the checks have the authority and power. One does not ever want to cross them or bite the hand that feeds/signs/provides. A contract will do little good toward a pleasant or manageable work experience. A contract cannot prevent one from being nailed to the wall especially if one lobs nailable offense/s.

So to answer the question in light of the subsequent posts, one's demeanor trumps one's signature every time.

Although it's a perfect illustration of why there's reason to be concerned.

thanks k8memphis. having a good contract lawyer will help a bunch as well. It will cost 1000 dollars or so but it is definitely worth it so when the time comes to leave the place it is less painful.

The fundamental question here is which side are you on? Are you looking to impose a contract upon an employee? Are you looking to demand your employer sign a contract with you? Is your employer presenting you with a contract and telling you to sign it or pack up and get out?

You need to explain your situation to a lawyer, who will then either put together a draft that covers your requirements, or review what you've been presented with your needs in mind. Then either you or your lawyer gets to tell the other side what you've come up with. Negotiations may then ensue.

There is no form book where you rip out a page that says "Chef Employment Contract" and expect it to cover all your bases.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

regards.

Largely because useful input would be:

1) impossible, given the scant information you provided; and

2) legal advice, which many here aren't licensed to give, and none of those who are represent you.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch