• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers Markets in the Great Southeast

joiei

Saturday, I traveled over to Fayetteville, Arkansas to go to their farmers market. Considering that it is early in the growing season, they had some greens, asparagus and bamboo shoots. There were lots of tomato plants of all varietys and some raspberry starts. The market is actually pretty nice, it is held around the old city hall in the middle of downtown. There were some breadmakers, I didn't see any cheeses. I was there early and thought the traffic was impressive for being this early in the year.

Where are your favorite markets in the south? When I travel, I do like to check out the local farmers markets where I am visiting. I guess that makes me a culinary tourist. Not a bad thing.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I just wanted to remind everyone about a relatively new market in downtown Raleigh on Wednesdays. It's in Moore Square, down by City Market from 10:30 to 2. I seem to remember Varmint posting about it last year...

Some of the vendors include:

Chapel Hill Creamery, cows milk cheeses

Lyon Farms, great berries and other produce

Celebrity Dairy, goat cheese

Wild Onion Farms, heirloom tomato plants, herbs, eggs

Scratch Baking, all things pie

Coon Rock Farms, beautiful greens, pasture raised meats, eggs

Jackson Farm, amazing honey, produce

La Farm, great bread

you can see the full list of vendors here:

http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/FarmersMarket/index.html

Whole Foods is a sponsor and they have a tent set up with prepared foods...there are tables set up for people to eat their lunch...music even!

Edited by phlawless (log)

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

And phlawless is too modest to mention that she is "Scratch Baking." I purchase two of her tarts (strawberry/ricotta and chocolate/sea salt) plus two of her pot pies last week, and needless to say, they were fantastic.

She uses local ingredients whenever possible (no local chocolate right now), and the taste is top-notch.

This farmers market is a wonderful step forward for Raleigh. It may not be the biggest or with the most variety, but it's a wonderful scene with very committed vendors. And, of course, with great pie!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Here's my totally personal take on my two favorite markets - one from my old hometown of Charlotte and one from my new hometown of Greensboro

The Greensboro Curb Market:

Gots:

Influence of Slow Food Movement is significant

Elcectic mix of purveyors

A variety of bakers from the individual to commercial categories

Lebanese items from Zaytoun

Fresh seafood, locally raised meat and poultry

Goat Lady Dairy

The Garlic Lady

Amish goods (Mennonite, maybe - hope not to offend)

Various purveyors of flowers, knick-knacks and condiments

Focaccia at 9:30

Needs:

Good coffee

Somebody to sell micro greens

Cooking demonstrations

Better selection of heirloom tomatoes

The Matthews Community Farmers Market

Gots

All locally-grown produce

Assorted baked items

Signolia's Balsamic Vinaigrette

Tomato Joes heirloom tomatoes

Weekly cooking demonstrations by some of Charlotte's best chefs

The Koenigsberg family stand

Two growers selling micro greens

Needs:

More ethnic purveyors

More shade

A better sense of place (it lacks a bit of the southern influence)

The Matthews Community Farmers Market

Gots

All locally-grown produce

Assorted baked items

Signolia's Balsamic Vinaigrette

Tomato Joes heirloom tomatoes

Weekly cooking demonstrations by some of Charlotte's best chefs

The Koenigsberg family stand

Two growers selling micro greens

Needs:

More ethnic purveyors

More shade

A better sense of place (it lacks a bit of the southern influence)

Brent, fyi, the Matthews market has added meat this year. Both Grateful Growers pork and Baucom's Best beef are available. Also, the Charlotte Regional Market has all of the above, plus Nise Smart's lettuces, Donnie Cline's jokes and his organic asparagus, Yah's salsas, Imaldris's amazing blueberry jam and Daddy's Girl's fresh chevre.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer