• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourbon County BBQ (in Bergen Cty)

chefdavidrusso

Thanks Lima Bean, the combo is actually $8.49 and not $8.99.  However the good news is that Chilies is only 5 miles away in Paramus and there is one in KC and NC,  LOL.  Best regards,  :smile:  Mike

Well, we went -- all 6 of us, arrived at about 7 pm, and the line was to the door. Got in line to order ( luckily most of the people inside seemed to be waiting to pick up their already placed orders). Arrival time to food pick up was about 45 mins. We did sit at a dirty table for most of the waiting time.. maybe posting a sign asking people to bus their own tables would be helpful. I had read on the website about the no paper plates, but having to eat the family feast on paper towels was a bit messy/awkward. We made do by spooning out the sides onto the lids. Each of us had a little lid. We loved the pulled pork, the ribs were good, but very difficult to cut apart with the plastic knives. My 4 year old nephew wanted all the mac and cheese, so we ended up returning to the counter to order another pint of just mac and cheese. The drink refills are great, but it is a bit awkward to return to the counter to ask for refills.. I felt like I was jumping the line.

I know this is only their first week, and I will definitely return... I understand there were TWO favorable articles in the Bergen Record this week..

Two concerns... Lack of handicapped parking. ( There is NONE, and it is a decent-sized lot) I asked an employee outside about the lack of handicapped parking and he mentioned that the inspector said they needed it, and the town said they didn't have to include it. Huh?

Other concern, the rise in the asphalt near the entrance should be clearly marked ( maybe that is in the works) .. but most people are not expecting that slight hill to/from the parking lot, and several older people were cautioning each other to be careful on the way out...

We will definitely be back though ... finished off the evening with a stop for ice cream at nearby Van Dyk's. ( and we did bring our BBQ leftovers home)

Thanks Lima Bean, the combo is actually $8.49 and not $8.99.  However the good news is that Chilies is only 5 miles away in Paramus and there is one in KC and NC,  LOL.  Best regards,  :smile:  Mike

Well, we went -- all 6 of us, arrived at about 7 pm, and the line was to the door. Got in line to order ( luckily most of the people inside seemed to be waiting to pick up their already placed orders). Arrival time to food pick up was about 45 mins. We did sit at a dirty table for most of the waiting time.. maybe posting a sign asking people to bus their own tables would be helpful. I had read on the website about the no paper plates, but having to eat the family feast on paper towels was a bit messy/awkward. We made do by spooning out the sides onto the lids. Each of us had a little lid. We loved the pulled pork, the ribs were good, but very difficult to cut apart with the plastic knives. My 4 year old nephew wanted all the mac and cheese, so we ended up returning to the counter to order another pint of just mac and cheese. The drink refills are great, but it is a bit awkward to return to the counter to ask for refills.. I felt like I was jumping the line.

I know this is only their first week, and I will definitely return... I understand there were TWO favorable articles in the Bergen Record this week..

Two concerns... Lack of handicapped parking. ( There is NONE, and it is a decent-sized lot) I asked an employee outside about the lack of handicapped parking and he mentioned that the inspector said they needed it, and the town said they didn't have to include it. Huh?

Other concern, the rise in the asphalt near the entrance should be clearly marked ( maybe that is in the works) .. but most people are not expecting that slight hill to/from the parking lot, and several older people were cautioning each other to be careful on the way out...

We will definitely be back though ... finished off the evening with a stop for ice cream at nearby Van Dyk's. ( and we did bring our BBQ leftovers home)

Dear SueWho321. Thank you very much for your feedback. As you can see we are suffering from growing pains that we are hoping to address shortly (I hope). As far as the parking, the van accessible spot and the warning signs for the rise in the asphalt will be done early next week. The employee was correct, the zoning board does not allow any changes to the site plan without the approval from the town, Bergen County and DOT and it takes about 3 month to 3 years to get an approval. The zoning officer did allow for us to get a spot without submitting new plans. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Hope to see you soon, Mike

Thanks Lima Bean, the combo is actually $8.49 and not $8.99. However the good news is that Chilies is only 5 miles away in Paramus and there is one in KC and NC, LOL. Best regards, Mike

Wow, not what I expected from a long time egulleter and regular poster. Especially when you have received nothing but raves in the past for your other restaurant. Lima Bean is allowed his opinion...he was far from offensive. Mike...why post this? Is criticism not allowed?

Thanks Lima Bean, the combo is actually $8.49 and not $8.99. However the good news is that Chilies is only 5 miles away in Paramus and there is one in KC and NC, LOL. Best regards,  Mike

Wow, not what I expected from a long time egulleter and regular poster.  Especially when you have received nothing but raves in the past for your other restaurant.  Lima Bean is allowed his opinion...he was far from offensive.  Mike...why post this?  Is criticism not allowed?

Sure it is, that's why the smiley face. This was a joke but maybe sounded a bit sarcastic. There is as many BBQ's as BBQ Chefs, ours is just different from all the rest. Many people come in and say, I know BBQ, I had it in XXX and YYY and this is not it so it's not a real BBQ. Our job is to educate and hope that customers will like our style as well.

Lima Bean, sorry - did not mean to sound sarcastic.

No harm...Mike...you have a good thing going there, location is half the battle and you've picked a perfect spot. Your pulled pork is extremely moist, but bland, maybe just some more salt to top it off. Since I would say I have some good experience in this area..please explain what type of BBQ you are serving then folks would understand a little more? Remeber, most NJ'rs have never been to the Carolinas, New Orleans for cajun, Kansis city or texas....education and communication....

Also, funny subject about the asphalt bump...you know what I think, the pitch of your roof does not hang over the asphalt bump it's short, so when it rains, don't you think the water will pool/flood right in front of your door? :wink: you might want to take a look at this...

limabean

Thank goodness we all made nice. I thought it was going to come down to a duel: BBQ at 100 paces. Can we get back to eating now? I'm ready for my first take out today, I'm going to visit mom after she gets her daily radiation treatment. THIS will cheer her up, as she is a big Silver Oak Bistro fan. See you later!

No harm...Mike...you have a good thing going there, location is half the battle and you've picked a perfect spot.  Your pulled pork is extremely moist, but bland, maybe just some more salt to top it off.  Since I would say I have some good experience in this area..please explain what type of BBQ you are serving then folks would understand a little more? Remeber, most NJ'rs have never been to the Carolinas, New Orleans for cajun, Kansis city or texas....education and communication....

Also, funny subject about the asphalt bump...you know what I think, the pitch of your roof does not hang over the asphalt bump it's short, so when it rains, don't you think the water will pool/flood right in front of your door?  :wink: you might want to take a look at this...

limabean

Thanks Lima Bean, Chef Gary's original BBQ shack called Pigasus was in Louisville, KY. However the "dry" style (dry rub only, sauce only on the side) is more from Memphis/Oklahoma regions. The pork is just dry-rubbed but not seasoned in any other way. Pickle chips and onions that are served on the side add another dimension. We (Chef Gary) are very careful not to get too much smoke in the meat as it will overpower the product. Some BBQ's season the meat after pulling it, we do not do that as all the meat is made to order and not in batches. There is a shaker with "Gun Powder" on the table that can be used to add saltiness and spiciness to taste. The BBQ sauce is made from scratch in small batches and the sauce should be used if required we do not like to add much liquid smoke to it for the same reason. We do not use gas or electric for heat - just hickory.

As far as the rain water, there is not much of it coming off the roof - that is all draining from the gutters. The previous owners installed the hump to keep the water that is coming down the parking lot from entering the building. It seems to be working for now. All the best, Mike

Pickle chips and onions that are served on the side add another dimension. 

We had ordered the family feast... should we have gotten bread, pickles,onions and a 22 oz bottle of bbq sauce with it? Maybe you were out of the bottled sauce?

there are two bottles of sauce on every table. they don't physically hand you a bottle of sauce with your order. unless i'm misunderstanding. actually, they sometimes don't even hand you your *order* with your order. :biggrin:

in general i'd say any restaurant deserves some time to work out kinks. i'm guessing that this place is more popular in its first week than they could have ever imagined. to my mind everyone is doing themselves and this local business a disservice by rushing off to it. and they're certainly doing it a disservice by posting negative comments right out of the gate. give it a few months, just as most people get when they start a new job. your boss and coworkers don't come into your cube and start busting your balls the first week, do they?

Edited by tommy (log)

give it a few months, just as most people get when they start a new job.  your boss and coworkers don't come into your cube and start busting your balls the first week, do they?

That depends, Tommy...are YOU my new boss or co-worker?!? :laugh::biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I've been following this conversation, and keeping my trap shut. But, now I'll speak. It does, indeed take a while to get the kinks out of a place. Agreed. So, as a restauranteur, I would have started with a more limited menu, and a requirement to call in advance for take out. That would have helped, but hindsight is 20-20. For now, my recommendation would be to cord off half the seats, and slow it down. Nobody wants to serve mediocre food, and for the masses, one bad meal at a high price, for what is casual food, is memorable, in a bad way, if you know what I mean.

With all the hubbub, I went last night, and saw chaos, and opted, instead, to go to goffle grill, chow down on a quite decent hot dog, and plan to return when I know I won't have a bad vibe going into the place. I like the chef, quite a bit, and he deserves a break, but I think at this point, some damage control needs to take place.

Just my humble little opinion....

Several things this all suggests to me-

1. The number of people again confirms our desire for good BBQ in the area. So I thank Mike and Gary for taking the risk and stepping up to try to fill the void.

2. I think that this may be, as has been noted, adjustment pains-remember this is still only a couple of weeks old.

That said, it can be a problem if you get a bad rep from the start for chaos. I think that is the concern of Lima Bean and Picnic Chef, and really is meant to be thoughtful help to the crew there.

Obviously there needs to be an adjustment, if it hasn't already been made.

If people try the food of a place and don't like it, that's one thing. But you don't want to be losing people because of problems in process that could be worked out.

Exactly, Dumplin'

People understand problems, and growing pains and the like. We've had our share! We've run out of everything and had to apologize or give away a meal or whatever it takes. I think the high hype and high hopes for Bourbon BBQ, or Bourbon Bergen BBQ, was too much too soon. That said, the only fear I have is that people might not give it a second chance. I hope Mike, I know you read the board and comment frequently, that you guys can work to get the kinks out of the service problem. Perhaps an explanation for closing on Friday is a good thing.

yes bergen county is in need...great location...hopefully it is a matter of time and yes, we will try again...we're foodies and don't give up that quickly especially since we know this place has it in them to really succeed....they do have a good reputation

I'm only guessing that this is speaking to Boubon Street, but I think it is a dandy guess, considering I had a hot dog at Goffle Grill two days ago instead of barbecue..

Regardless of where it is, I think that Bourbon fits the description and should work to fix things ASAP...

check out Northjersey.com, and click on the food blog there for a complete write up.

Edited by PicnicChef (log)

Went here tonight. Or perhaps more accurately this afternoon, around 5:00. Good time to go. When we left around 5:45 or so, the family

"take-it-home for dinner" crowd was kicking up and a line was forming. That enabled me to see where there could be potential problems, although things seemed to be ok at the time. The staff appeared to still be getting it together. They could use a roving person attending to problems that arise;everyone was stacked behind the counter.

We had a pork sandwich, a brisket sandwich and half a rack of ribs. We also had four sides-the baked beans, the coleslaw, the collard greens and the macaroni and cheese. They were out of the chicken; someone at a nearby table had some so they must have just run out. The brisket was a nice mix of moist pieces and crispier ends. However the meat was somewhat overseasoned, although still good. The pork was ok but not outstanding. Ribs were moist and well seasoned, with more smoke than the prior occasion I had had them.

Macaroni was gluey and missing something-pepper, seasoning, something would have helped. Collard greens were unremarkable. Baked beans and coleslaw were both nice, the beans having a little bit of a kick to them, and some ends mixed in.

All in all, as we have said, some things to work out, but certainly potential.

Lauren and I were there with Dumpling... and I'll give my take on it.

First, I'll preface this with a couple of points, to put my post into context.

- I rather like Silver Oak, and had some high expectations for this place

- I already knew of the growing pains

- I like BBQ. I make BBQ. I've had some great BBQ.

So, with a scholarly attitude we drove to Bourbon BBQ.

There was only one person in line ahead of us, and we took a number from the machine.

There were lots of folk behind the counter, seemingly pretty busy.

As Dumpling said, the person taking the orders told us they were out of all chicken.

So we figured that for the three of us, we'd try a bunch of things.

My take on the food:

Tried the brisket sandwich first (as we were all sharing everything, we just picked at the meat, didn't eat any of the bread until later on). My first bite was an explosion of flavor... had mostly "crust", heavily seasoned. Second bite yielded pretty moist meat. However, when returning for more, I did find that it was over seasoned, with the rub distracting from the meat. I"ll rate the brisket as good.

The pork was shredded/cut into nice pieces, better than the fine chop I've had at some southern BBQ shacks, but not "pulled" the way I would with a couple of forks. The meat was a bit dry, nothing succulent about it. It was just ok, at best.

The ribs were tender, pretty moist but nothing special. Once again, the rub was overpowering the meat.

The collard greens were good, with a pickled flavor... I enjoyed that.

The beans had nice flavor, but very thick.

The cole slaw was tasty.

The mac and cheese was a yawn (but was palatable with a bit of bbq sauce and salt)

Which brings me to BBQ sauce. There were two kinds of squeeze bottles... one red, one clear. On most of the tables, the clear bottles had only 1/4" of sauce in them. I had to search for one that wasn't nearly empty.

I'm still not sure if there's supposed to be much of a difference (if at all) in the sauce(s). One was a little spicier than the other, but the sauce was pretty much the same. Could be two batches of the same sauce, could be two similar tomato based sauces. I would have much prefered a single tomato based sauce and supplement it with one or two thin vinegar based sauces (north and or south carolina style).

On a non-food note. The urinal in the bathroom was out of order. There was a bucket of (I assume) cleaning supplies across from the mens room door. Also, the only time I saw any of the staff come out from behind the counter was to empty a trash receptacle.

To sum up this visit, I'll repeat myself:

I like BBQ. I make BBQ. I've had some great BBQ.

This was not great BBQ, not even close. The food was fair to OK commercial BBQ. Nothing special.

Nothing where we said "oh boy, this is good". Nothing that made us close our eyes and savor the flavor. Nothing that I would travel for... and I'll travel for good BBQ < s >

We determined that we'll give this another shot in the future, but I don't know what if anything will be different. However, given the Silver Oak heritage, the talent to do better is clearly there, so we have some hopes.

Hmmm, maybe I'll make some pulled pork next weekend... or perhaps a brisket... or a smoked corned beef...

Edited by alanz (log)

One thing this post made me do was to bring out the smoker! I just made my own bacon, with a corn cob smoke, vermont style. We're having BLTs for dinner to try them out, and then, darned if it is as good as it smells, its on my menu tomorrow!

From the website of Silver Oak Bistro in Ridgewood......

"4.20.07 COMING SOON!!! Be on a lookout for Bourbon County BBQ Smokehouse opening early Summer at 529 Goffle Road in Wyckoff (old Clixies). Chef Gary is bringing his Kentucky BBQ from Bourbon County to Bergen County. This will be a Family - Self Service Restaurant with the Best Food and at an affordable price. We are installing a hardwood smoker and redooing the entire kitchen from scratch. We will keep you posted on the progress."

I had heard the rumor a couple of months ago, but obviously now it can be confirmed.

Oh Happy Day!!!

Hello eGulleters, we are looking for a Restaurant Manager with some fast food experiance. If you have any leads, please call Helen at 201 906 0746. All the best, Mike

Mike,

Just an opinion here, but get rid of the no refunds rule on your website. As someone who owns another successful restaurant, you know the customer is ALWAYS right. If I mess up on one thing, boom, it is free. If a customer complains, well, the next lunch is on the house. No refunds is not a good idea. Just my opinion.

Mike,

Just an opinion here, but get rid of the no refunds rule on your website. As someone who owns another successful restaurant, you know the customer is ALWAYS right. If I mess up on one thing, boom, it is free. If a customer complains, well, the next lunch is on the house. No refunds is not a good idea. Just my opinion.

I was thinking this too, but I was afraid to say anything. It's very rare that I have any problems with restaurants, but I'd like to think that if there was a (legitimate) problem, the owners/managers would offer to make things right.

• 4 weeks later...
i think the passion should stay out of this, our goal on this board is to state facts, good  or bad...

Fact is we decided to give this a second chance...CLOSED at 8:20 on a Friday

Lima Bean,

Let me say that I enjoy your posts. I first read some of them on the Amazing Hot Dog Thread. I do disagree with you that passion should stay out of this. Remember, this is an OPINION message board and there is nothing wrong with stating your opinions. I assume this is what you mean even though you say "state facts, good or bad". I would say that people who post here, especially those who post often are passionate about food.

There is never any need to apologize for your opinions, so long as they are what you think and not being posted because you don't like someone or to be vindictive. Don't let anyone intimidate you into not speaking your mind. It seems to me that too many people in the restaurant business are more than happy to accept compliments and praise, but are thin skinned when it comes to criticism. Yet they will claim they don't mind negative comments. I can see someone getting upset if you mistate factual things such as hours, price, type of food or size, but when it comes to what you think of the food, that is your opinion, and as everyone knows, taste is subjective. I think there is no doubt that the owner of this restaurant was being sarcastic while trying to pretend he wasn't by adding a smiley face. And he wouldn't have apologized unless he was called on it.

I am not a restaurant owner or food critic. I love hot dogs and post on them often on various food forums including here. As a result, I am sometimes asked to comment on them in the newspaper or other media. Last year I was part of a team that reviewed 87 hot dog restaurants for the Newark Star Ledger. I actually enjoy talking about hot dogs almost as much as eating them. And because I do, I always include my e-mail address. It's been my experience that many people who will not post their opinions on open forums will e-mail them to me. You wouldn't believe the names I'm called and what people have to say about me. That's ok because I have a thick skin. And no one will prevent me from voicing my opinions. I've had negative things to say about someone's hot dogs who was a good friend of my father. He didn't like it. Tough. I've also praised the hot dogs of someone who cursed me out when I was at her restaurant. I've gotten e-mails telling me that I should never say anything negative about a restaurant because it may hurt their business. Perhaps the most ridiculous thing I've been told is that I should have to qualify everything I say by stating it is just my opinion and not fact. I would think that most people should be able to figure that out. So I'm not surprised, Lima Bean, that on another thread a comparison you made was called "disrespectful".

I could go on and on, but I think everyone gets the jist of what I'm saying. In some of my correspondence, I've actually had someone imply that your (Lima Bean's) comments should not be taken seriously because "you often have negative things to say about E-Gullet approved restaurants" Really.

I've also had restaurant owners tell me that my negative opinions might prevent others from going to their restaurant. Well, so be it. I tell everyone to go and make up their own mind despite what I, or others have to say about it.

I think that people, whether they are restaurant owner, friends or family of restaurant owners, patrons of restaurants, etc. ought to develop a thicker skin and not be so sensitive to criticism of their favorite places. And if you disagree with someone, nothing wrong with posting and/or debating it. As for me, I would rather discuss or debate it online rather than in an e-mail, especially when the subject was brought up in a forum.

John the hot dog guy

I'm only guessing that this is speaking to Boubon Street, but I think it is a dandy guess, considering I had a hot dog at Goffle Grill two days ago instead of barbecue..

Regardless of where it is, I think that Bourbon fits the description and should work to fix things ASAP...

check out Northjersey.com, and click on the food blog there for a complete write up.

Dear PicnicChef, God bless you.

Mike