• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourbon County BBQ (in Bergen Cty)

chefdavidrusso

From the website of Silver Oak Bistro in Ridgewood......

"4.20.07 COMING SOON!!! Be on a lookout for Bourbon County BBQ Smokehouse opening early Summer at 529 Goffle Road in Wyckoff (old Clixies). Chef Gary is bringing his Kentucky BBQ from Bourbon County to Bergen County. This will be a Family - Self Service Restaurant with the Best Food and at an affordable price. We are installing a hardwood smoker and redooing the entire kitchen from scratch. We will keep you posted on the progress."

I had heard the rumor a couple of months ago, but obviously now it can be confirmed.

Oh Happy Day!!!

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The grand opening is set for July 1, according to the website. They also have a takeout menu posted online:

Link

The menu seems a bit limited, but what's there looks good, and thank goodness the prices seem reasonable. Hopefully they'll add some nice flavored wings like Fink used to have.

I'm looking forward to this place, as a decent barbecue place in Bergen County has been hard to come by since Fink's closed a few years ago. I can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...
The grand opening is set for July 1, according to the website. They also have a takeout menu posted online:

Link

The menu seems a bit limited, but what's there looks good, and thank goodness the prices seem reasonable. Hopefully they'll add some nice flavored wings like Fink used to have.

I'm looking forward to this place, as a decent barbecue place in Bergen County has been hard to come by since Fink's closed a few years ago. I can't wait!

Dear eGullet Friends, please join us for a Private Grand Opening Party celebration this Saturday 12 to 4. Live Blues Band and BBQ will be served. Please mention eGullet and print this page if you can. See you Saturday, please make sure to find us in the crowd.

Chef Gary Needham (Pit Master) and Mike & Helen Feygin (BBQ grunts :biggrin: )

Nice! I'm definitely going to try to stop by, it's been forever since I've had good BBQ.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Well I just finished my leftovers from Barnstormer, and I have to go back there Sunday. Saturday seems like a perfect day for some comparison Q.

See ya then

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Well I just finished my leftovers from Barnstormer, and I have to go back there Sunday. Saturday seems like a perfect day for some comparison Q.

See ya then

tracey

Typical I'm freakin working on Saturday!!!!! Nothing beats a LIVE EGullet reunion

Tom

I want food and I want it now

Wow there were a bunch of Us at the grand opening I got to meet Purple Pirate and Whitetrufflechick and was there to meet up with Curlz, Ejebud, and BethE.

We got there in time for the ribbon cutting by the town mayor and then Mike and Gary put out a ton of food for us to taste. Spiced boiled peanuts, chicken legs and wings, the tendarest pulled pork I have had, and ribs

gallery_23695_426_196437.jpg

gallery_23695_426_140453.jpg

gallery_23695_426_609383.jpg

gallery_23695_426_253314.jpg

gallery_23695_426_301831.jpg

after a plate or two Eric asked if I knew what the jars of red things on the counter were, well I hadent noticed but I took a wild guess of coolaide pickles. soon after he returns to our table with...yes a cherry coolaide pickle...aka Delta or Dixie I forget now

gallery_23695_426_273705.jpg

well I must say thanks to Mike and Gary for the feast

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Sorry I missed you guys; I wasn't able to get there until about 3.

I didn't actually get any of the pulled pork or the pickles, but I had the brisket, the ribs, the chicken. They were uniformly moist, and the side sauces were good.

Got to speak to Mike and want to thank him and Chef Gary.

Nice food; you should do well. :smile:

Sorry I'm late to the party but here is my $.02

Beautiful sunny day! The parking lot was set up with beverages. There was a canopy with a band and then the FOOD!

The ribs had that nice pink ring indicating smoking but the smoke flavor wasn't overwhelming. Idon't like when the food it too smokey. The pulled pork was delicious -- incredibly tender and juicy. The chicken wings and drumsticks were very good also.

I tried the red pickle, but I guess it's an acquired taste because it wasn't my thing. As you can see from Rooftop's pics it did have the red ring like it had been smoked. :raz:

This was my first time having boiled peanuts -- they weren't what I expected but liked them.

The folks working were very nice and friendly. I got a particular kick out of the guy serving the ribs. He asked me how many I wanted! What type of question was that for a foodie! I had 2 -- juicy, meaty, pull off the bone yum.

We will definitely be back!

Went on Sun July 1. Spoke with Gary - over 1000 lbs of meat sold on Sun and I was there at 5:30. They were out of everything but sausage and chicken.

We called in the Family Feast and went to pick it up and take it home. The place was kind of zoo-y but hey that's because people love good q. Was a little disappointed to find out that instead of slaw they put in greens and there were no ribs and tips. I'll sort it out with them later. No big.

What did come home with me was excellent - chicken, wings and pork were all top notch. My 8-yo son said "Hey, this is pretty good." High praise from someone who has not had either chicken fingers or a hamburger pass his lips in as long as we've known him.

Bill

PS Ratatouille is playing at the Lafayette Theater in Suffern. The Nugent clan went last night. Great food movie. Great movie period - made better by watching it in a movie palace with the Mighty Hammond Organ playing before the the show and the "Let's all go to the lobby..." promo sung by the kids as they walk out afterwards.

The Lafayette is a great alternative to a shoe box sized auditorium in the local Loews goolgeplex and well worth preserving and supporting. Please keep it in mind when you are heading out to see a show.

The spring and fall Saturday morning classic film festivals are fun too. Two years ago they showed the original Willie Wonka with Gene Wilder and handed out Wonka Bars and had the bubble machines going during the fizzy lifting drinks scene. A great place!

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Count me as another one who's late to the party in terms of posting...

Thanks again to Gary and Mike for issuing their invitation to all of us; I probably wouldn't have gotten up there for a few weeks if not for the prodding of some of the folks on this board! The band was great (hopefully one of the guys will tell us who they were...), staff VERY friendly, and they knew to ask important questions like "Do you want some of the crispy meat?" when serving the food. :biggrin:

I have to say that while I enjoyed everything I tried, the pulled pork was my clear favorite. JUST. DELICIOUS! I am definitely not a 'Q expert, but I know when I like something, and I'll certainly make the trip back to BCBBQ for more of that! And as I told Gary, I thought the inclusion of rosemary was a VERY good thing. For the record, I wished we had a chance to sample some of the sides, but I'm definitely not complaining; this was a generous invitation, and much appreciated. Best of luck to you!

And just for the record, I refused to try that (ahem) pickle. BLEAH!!! :wacko:

ETA: If there are any board managers left, can one of you please change the name of this thread to BOURBON County BBQ? It will be tough for folks to find if it remains listed as Bergen Cty. The subtopic could be New in Wyckoff or New in Bergen County. Thanks.

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

A wicked illness has keep me house confined to my apartent for most of the past week, so I couldn't make it to the grand opening yesterday, but I asked my brother to go today and pick us up some lunch, and he was cool enough to do so. We got a pound of brisket, a pound of pork, and sides of mac & cheese, cole slaw, and baked beans. So, here's my thoughts:

The meats were both excellent. Both were very tender and flavorful, without being overly spiced. We both thought the brisket was slightly better than the pork but both were wonderful. They were served piled high with slices of white bread, onions, and pickle slices on the side.

The meats were both served with sides of the bourbon barbecue sauce, which was very good, but it is spicy for a barbecue sauce. I loved it, but those who can't handle spicy sauces may want to go easy on this. I didn't catch a whole lot of bourbon flavor, but the sauce was still excellent.

The beans were outstanding as well. Very flavorful, with a nice maple flavored sauce and nice big shreds of the aformentioned pork and brisket can be found throughout, and not a lot of other junk. Some of the best retaurant beans I've had.

The one miss was the macaroni and cheese. I am a fan of nice, dry, baked macaroni and cheese. With nice brown bits throughout and hints of mustard and cayenne. There are some good "wet" macaroni and cheeses out there, but none compare to the best baked ones, IMHO. (Although Picnic in Emerson does a very good "wet" macaroni & cheese.)

The macaroni & cheese came in a regular styrofoam cup with a regular drink cover. The macaroni was covered in a fairly gloppy cheese sauce. It was OK and the sauce had OK flavor, but I was so hoping for a good dry baked macaroni and cheese. If you like this type of mac & cheese, you'll probably enjoy it. But there are much better version out there, both wet & dry.

I don't eat cole slaw, but I asked my brother what he thought of it. He said he thought it was OK, but nothing spectacular. I thought it looked pretty decent for a cole slaw. Drier than most.

My brother said the place was very busy and the staff was frenzied, but I guess that's to be expected on opening day. All the food cost $34. A little bit more than I'm used to spending on take out, but it was a ton of food, and of great quality overall.

So, overall, it was a very good lunch. These guys do the most important things, the 'cue, very very well. I do hope they'll work on that macaroni & cheese though. It's been a few years since I enjoyed Fink's but I have to get up there soon so I can do a true comparison. But overall, I'm glad these guys are here, and I'm sure things will improve as time goes on.

i think it's actually "Bourbon BBQ", rather than Bourbon County BBQ. edit: good point Curlz. i remember that now. the sign and the sauce are called "Bourbon BBQ", at least for now. so if people are looking for it, they'll probably look for what they saw from the road or on the sauce or website, rather than what's on the shirts. :) but yes, what's the name!?!?

and there's no bourbon in the sauce. the name of the restaurant (and sauce) likely refer to Bourbon County.

my thoughts on some of the sides:

We tried a couple of sides, including a delicious cole slaw, good baked beans (although there wasn't much evidence of smoky pork leftovers in them), and mac and cheese, which didn't come close to what Chef Gary is doing with mac and cheese at Silver Oak Bistro.  In fact I'd skip it next time.

more here.

Edited by tommy (log)

Funny you mention that, Tommy...the sign on the building says Bourbon BBQ, but the shirts they were wearing said Bourbon County BBQ! Let's have Mike or Gary weigh in with the correct name, please?!?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

i think it's actually "Bourbon BBQ", rather than Bourbon County BBQ.

Thanks Tommy, you are absolutely correct. However, our shirts say "BOURBON CNTY BBQ" to make sure that the customers do not mistake us for "Bourbon Street" in the Big Easy. But the real name is "Bourbon BBQ". And if anyone is thinking that this is a chain - it is not. Today was a mixed bag. The Q was pretty good, we had some issues with temperatures but overall not 2 bad. We sold out of all meats by 5:30 but this was over 1000lb of meat. We had some problems with taking the orders and getting the food out, AMEX credit cards, bathrooms, out of printed menus but for a first day it was better then expected. Chef Gary is getting 1500lb of meat ready for tomorrow and we are hoping not to be out before 8pm. After all, the meat from the day before goes into the BBQ beans. I have not tried the Delta Pickles yet, it looks pretty disgusting but seems to be one of the latest trends (not for me). We know that tomorrow will be another day. Best regards, Mike

hi we ate there on Sunday and I think this place misses the mark. I've had BBQ from Kansas to the Carolina's and there was no smokey flavor, not even in the sauce. Granted the pork and brisket were very tender, no fat, it was bland...i could make this at home...

big portions for 8.99 combo however,...

the sides of beans and mac&cheese, both missed for me..one reader said "maple" flavor...I didn't taste that at all

not many BBQ in bergen county....so it will do ok...perhaps give it time..

limabean

hi we ate there on Sunday and I think this place misses the mark. I've had BBQ from Kansas to the Carolina's and there was no smokey flavor, not even in the sauce.  Granted the pork and brisket were very tender, no fat, it was bland...i could make this at home... 

big portions for 8.99 combo however,...

the sides of beans and mac&cheese, both missed for me..one reader said "maple" flavor...I didn't taste that at all 

not many BBQ in bergen county....so it will do ok...perhaps give it time..

limabean

Thanks Lima Bean, the combo is actually $8.49 and not $8.99. However the good news is that Chilies is only 5 miles away in Paramus and there is one in KC and NC, LOL. Best regards, :smile: Mike