• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strange new foods

Welcome, David. We appreciate the visit!

Does your approach towards reviewing a restaurant differ significantly if you are unfamiliar with the cuisine? Obviously this is most relevent to ethnic cuisines, although it might also be interesting for you to talk about other kinds of pre-review research as well, if you ever need to do it.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

If I don't know the cuisine, I try to research it both before and after my visits, using standard reference works, cookbooks, the Web, people who are familiar with the cooking, et al.

It's pretty daunting to dive into a new cuisine, but also fun and instructive. And while comparisons are obviously difficult (you can't compare a dish you've never eaten with a dish you've never eaten), the basic criteria for judging are the same in any language: Is it fresh? Is it tasty? Is it interesting?