• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Premier Pro Series ranges

baroness

I'm suddenly in the market for a 30" gas range (black or stainless steel), either slide-in or freestanding. The timer buzzer on my present range will not shut off :wacko: , so this needs to be done soon as possible. . .

The oven quality is more important to me than the cooktop. I was looking at the higher-end Whirlpools (such as GS773LXSB) when I saw some Premier ranges (P30S340BP/P30S310BP) on the Lowe's website. I would be losing the oven window, split oven racks, self-cleaning, and the warming drawer if I go for the 'professional look' of the Premier. I haven't been able to find much feedback on the Premier brand. My budget for this purchase is about $1,000. Thanks for any help!

It probably won't be for a while, but I swear that the next time I redo/renovate a kitchen, I'm going with something geared towards a restaurant instead of the consumer products. I think you get WAY more for the money in both cooking appliances and refrigeration.

I'd probably get something from a place like BigTray.com

Anybody else want to chime in? In general, I think the stuff that Home Depot and Lowe's sells is very mediocre.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Anybody else want to chime in?  In general, I think the stuff that Home Depot and Lowe's sells is very mediocre.

-Mark-

Thanks for the link, Mark; unfortunately there are no 30" ranges at BigTray.

This is an unplanned purchase, but the buzzing in the kitchen has got to stop. :blink: I hadn't even considered Premier (as my only experience with them had been as small, cheap apartment stoves) until I happened on the "Pro" one at the Lowe's site. The feedback I have found is very mixed.

Perhaps someone who is confident with a pair of wire cutters could be persuaded to perform a little "buzzer-ectomy"? Relieving the immediate symptom might allow a more relaxed decision making process is all I'm thinking here...

cheers

Derek

Perhaps someone who is confident with a pair of wire cutters could be persuaded to perform a little "buzzer-ectomy"? Relieving the immediate symptom might allow a more relaxed decision making process is all I'm thinking here...

cheers

Derek

I *am* wire cutter competent, but the wires are inaccessible (I even read the schematic!) Oh well, the weather is nice to be out of the house......

It probably won't be for a while, but I swear that the next time I redo/renovate a kitchen, I'm going with something geared towards a restaurant instead of the consumer products.  I think you get WAY more for the money in both cooking appliances and refrigeration.

Anybody else want to chime in?  In general, I think the stuff that Home Depot and Lowe's sells is very mediocre.

-Mark-

The dilemmma with restaurant gear is that true commercial gas ranges require very specific venting and heat protection for the areas surrounding the install. It is possible to install one in a home but if you're retrofitting rather than doing a new build-out the cost of installing one will cancel out the savings achieved by gettting a more-for-less commercial range.

But I am also interested in the Premier product. I haven't seen one in person but it looks like a good fit for me as I have a 40" space - ideal for a 36" free-standing range. And like MarkIsCooking I was very underwhelmed but the 30" ranges I saw at Lowe's yesterday for $1200 - $1600.

I have yet to see a Premier in person but from the photos on the Lowe's web site like they're more about function and less about styling. I also noted that the burners are in general larger and more suited to my desired uses.

Hmmmm.... that feedback does not sound encouraging. And I have the impression that Maytag in general is no longer the paragon of reliability that they once were. I may have to look into a retrofit and a commercial range - I'm on an outside wall and have the space to do it.