• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Section Restaurant Ratings

Why is the rating system different in the Times NJ section reviews from the NY section, i.e., asterisks vs. good, very good, etc? Or is it the same, i.e., excellent = ****, etc?

The regional sections -- New Jersey, Connecticut, Westchester, Long Island -- once used star ratings for restaurants. That changed in 1985. It was before my time, but my guess is that management here felt that restaurants in the provinces should not be judged on the same scale as the temples of haute cuisine on the right bank of the Hudson, lest some hapless reader be misled into thinking that the Ryland Inn was as good as, say, Lutèce. Horrors.

Our ratings are extraordinary, excellent, very good, good, satisfactory, fair and poor. The Dining section uses the same adjectives but couples them with stars: 1 star for good up to 4 for extraordinary.