• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

a "splurge" meal in TO

chengb02

And I hope to hunt down the best pizza in TO - something that is non-existent in Vancouver.

some say Terroni (think there's one on Queen West nearish you, haven't been), I like Grazie better, but neither is a revelation.

please do post your thoughts on Doku 15 if you go...it's around the corner from me but the whole Asian fusion vibe scares me.

And I hope to hunt down the best pizza in TO - something that is non-existent in Vancouver.

I'm not sure about the best pizza in Toronto VS the best pizza in Vancouver, but when I moved here I was shocked to discover that the average pizza in Vancouver knocks the socks off the average pizza here. Toronto is not a pizza town by any stretch of the imagination.

I have been craving something like Me&Ed's here without much luck since I have moved out.

Wow! If Me&Ed's is good pizza for you, the TO is really in dire straits! Try Lombardo's next time if you like the thin crust.

A.

I have been craving something like Me&Ed's here without much luck since I have moved out.

Wow! If Me&Ed's is good pizza for you, the TO is really in dire straits! Try Lombardo's next time if you like the thin crust.

A.

Tried Lombardo's and it ain't no John's in NYC. I guess pizza in Vancouver and Toronto may be strike outs. I think I had better flat bread in Colmar....sadly. Oh well, if you do not like Me&Eds, I know not to calibrate my pizza tastes to your own.

officially left egullet....

Sorry, Bueno, but I just went to Colborne Lane a couple of weeks ago and it was highly disapponting. The dishes were very well presented but it was bland and the portions were small so you actually have to order either 2 appetizers or 2 mains plus dessert. The dessert was the highlight of the meal, but that was mainly because everything else before that was not that good for the price they charged. This was the consensus of the 4 of us "foodies" who went that evening.

This place is form over substance at it's best. A trendy place to be seen with your high society friends, but if excellent food is what you're after, there are many better places in town.

And as for Colborne being on par with Per Se in New York (which my wife and I frequent at least once a year), with all due respect, not in a milliion zillion quadrillion years! Never mind Per Se, IMHO, Colborne isn't even close to being on par with the locals Susur, Splendido, George, Perigee, Jamie Kennedy, Via Allegro... and probably 10 others in town.

Colborne Lane.  Without a doubt.

(Recent meal blew every other Toronto fine dining experience out of the water.  Including Susur, Eigensinn, Splendido, Perigee, and the rest of the pack).

Chef Aprile is firing on all cylanders and putting some of the highest quality plates you're going to find currently in the city.  I realize these are huge claims, but I assure you that it's extremely rare that a restaurant impresses me to this extent.

In fact, I rate my meal here as being on the same level as Per Se in NYC, and Manresa in Los Gatos (my two best meals of all-time).

After Ami Pataki's review of the same http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/197460 I think I may wait a while before trying.

Edited by SYoung (log)

Just finished dinner at Susur (the man himself was in the house) - excellent meal. I had some trepidations after reading some recent reviews - but $100 tasting was great value - 6 courses were all full of bright lively flavours, witty presentation, and relaxed and knowledgable service.

Use of Chinese flavors were particularly well done. Jellied Shanghainese style pork laryed with foie, tomato gelee looking like glossy globes of salted duck eggs, the bright spark of chekiang vinegar in the amuse bouche.

Fun evening!

Sounds great! $100 tasting? Is that new? That's VERY reasonable.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Not sure if the pricing was new - since it was my first time there. $100 for a six course tasting with an array of amuse bouche to start as a bonus.

There were four of us - two of whom ordered three items ala cart - so we were charged for three tastings. Very fair pricing. Matching wines would have bumped things up by $73.

The only awkardness was in the beginning. There were two us having the full tasting - but we were not given the chance to choose which of the two tasting menus we wanted, instead we were given mix and match selections from both (Amy Pataki noted the same thing happened to her when she went with her husband).

The servers make sure there are no food allergies or strong dislikes - but from then on out - you are in Susur's hands. Worked out quite well.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Splurge:

-Scaramouche: a classic with gorgeous view, very refined.

-Sushi-Kaji: finer Japanese food I've only had in Japan

-Amuse Bouche: romantic little boite, very imaginative

cheapo:

-Terroni for Pizza/pasta/salads

-California Sandwiches forra vealla sandwiche

-King Noodle for cheap Cantonese

Best bet is Toronto Life's website Toronto Life

Save the Deliwww.savethedeli.com

Not sure if the pricing was new - since it was my first time there.  $100 for a six course tasting with an array of amuse bouche to start as a bonus. 

The only awkardness was in the beginning.  There were two us having the full tasting - but we were not given the chance to choose which of the two tasting menus we wanted, instead we were given mix and match selections from both

I believe the 7-course was $120 when I was last there, so 6 at $100 sounds in line with what I knew.

I don't think I've heard of diners being offered the choice between the 2 tasting menus at Susur. I mean, you don't know what you're getting until you get it, how is one to choose? It's usually just they bring it out, and you arrange swaps amongst yourselves (if you can persuade/coerce your companions).

• 3 weeks later...

some say Terroni (think there's one on Queen West nearish you, haven't been), I like Grazie better, but neither is a revelation.

please do post your thoughts on Doku 15 if you go...it's around the corner from me but the whole Asian fusion vibe scares me.

Endy'

Something tells me it's time for another taste comparison. This time, I'm thinking pizza. :wink: