• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining at the Rio

My wife and I are headed to the Rio next weekend and I was wondering if anyone had any casual dining tips to share. Our dinners are planned but I was curious if anyone could reccomend a spot for lunch. We had dinner at Buzio's last year and it was fine, but I don't think I'd go back. Has anyone tried the Indian restaurant there? Or the Japanese? We usually go for something simple (burgers by the pool) but if anyone can reccomend something better, or more exciting, we'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eric

The Indian restaurant is Gaylord's; it's a chain. It's OK but expensive for what it is, and when we went we thought the staff had been instructed to upsell way too aggressively.

I believe Hamada of Japan is a chain too. After looking at the menu we decided to sit at the bar at Buzio's and have the sashimi trio-- similar to something on Hamada's menu and less expensive. I will still probably go to Hamada's at some point during a long stay at the Rio but I don't expect it to be exciting.

I think the most exciting thing at the Rio is drinks at the Voodoo Lounge to watch the sunset and look out over the city.

Thanks for the quick reply, Tess. I think it's going to be hard to pass up a poolside burger. We usually stay at the Bellagio and my one great hope is that the mai tais at the Rio are good as the Bellagio's. :biggrin: Besides, with the nice chunk of pinapple included, who needs lunch?

Eric