• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roburrito in York?

pennbrew

Oh my gosh

Fellow Yorkers??

admittedly I grew up in cherry hill but i spent the forst 9 years in York, PA. I go back every year for the fair which coincides nicely with my birthday and We go at Christmas to the Yorktowne, my parents were married there. I can't wait to try this burrito, where is it in realation to the fairgrounds??

sweet

My knowledge of York Co. dining is minimal, but I always look at the menu in the commonwealth room at the Yorktowne and the menu looks really good. I also am a fan of the Paddock for crabcakes (by no means fine dining) and my dad loves Jim and Nenas pizza. Do you go to the fair??? I was really disappionted when the Greek Church gave up on the gyros and now they aren't as good.

It's my understanding that for interesting fine dining in York, Co....one must travel over to Hanover and go here:

http://www.sheppardmansion.com/mansion_history.htm

The chef, Andy Little, and his team all have some real "bona-fides" from some interesting, nationally known, restaurants and are into the whole "fresh, local, sustainable" thing.

Both the regular menu and a tasting menu are on the website.

Oh my gosh

Fellow Yorkers??

admittedly I grew up in cherry hill but i spent the forst 9 years in York, PA. I go back every year for the fair which coincides nicely with my birthday and We go at Christmas to the Yorktowne, my parents were married there.  I can't wait to try this burrito,  where is it in realation to the fairgrounds??

Great Idea to start a York thread...there is some interesting food going on in central PA and some great collaborations.

It's my understanding that for interesting fine dining in York, Co....one must travel over to Hanover and go here:

http://www.sheppardmansion.com/mansion_history.htm

The chef, Andy Little, and his team all have some real "bona-fides" from some interesting, nationally known, restaurants and are into the whole "fresh, local, sustainable" thing.

Both the regular menu and a tasting menu are on the website.

i went to college in york and my husband's family lives in spring grove, so we visit there often. i've never heard of the sheppard mansion, but the menu looks good and they certainly know their way around a pig.

i stayed at the yorktowne last november and was pleasantly surprised at the quality, creativity and taste of the foods they offer. almost makes you forget you're in york. :)

the market street viet-thai cafe is a place we often frequent while in the area. it's small, but the food has always been good and it's got a very homey feel to it, like eating at grandma's house. ginmaya on eastern blvd is another good asian place, serving both chinese and sushi. their sushi is very good.

i look forward to finding roburrito on our next visit.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

I remember Doncekers as a kid--- I thought it was so fancy! Is it still going and how is it??

Donneckers is in Lancaster County, the town of Ephrata to be exact. It indeed is still there. I have not been since they changed chefs earlier this year. Greg Gable who was with le Bec Fin has departed as executive chef. From what i hear, there have not been major changes

"It's my understanding that for interesting fine dining in York, Co....one must travel over to Hanover and go..."

I just about snorted my tea out when I read that.

Central Penn Business Journal has really good articles on Central PA trying to save farmland and reviving downtowns.

http://www.centralpennbusiness.com/article....617&aID2=60478

http://www.centralpennbusiness.com/article....265&aID2=60385

Jennifer

"It's my understanding that for interesting fine dining in York, Co....one must travel over to Hanover and go..."

I just about snorted my tea out when I read that.

Central Penn Business Journal has really good articles on Central PA trying to save farmland and reviving downtowns. 

http://www.centralpennbusiness.com/article....617&aID2=60478

http://www.centralpennbusiness.com/article....265&aID2=60385

Jennifer

Just wondering why you might have snorted out your tea. Things are changing for the better in York/Adams Co.

I remember Doncekers as a kid--- I thought it was so fancy! Is it still going and how is it??

Donneckers is in Lancaster County, the town of Ephrata to be exact. It indeed is still there. I have not been since they changed chefs earlier this year. Greg Gable who was with le Bec Fin has departed as executive chef. From what i hear, there have not been major changes

I have a birthday dinner coming up soon and am thinking about taking it at Donecker's. I too have not been there for several years, but I think their $65 tasting menu with wine is still a pretty good deal. I'd like to take advantage of it before it goes away. If I end up going, I'll post a report.

-Shawn

I would love to read about doneckers and how it is. I think it would be a great place to take my parents for a special occasion. Also, my father drew the picture of the Altland house that is still on it's menu today, although I never ate there

To the post above about fine dining in York, CO. I think there can be fine dining anywhere, and in a town so rich in history as York I am not at all surprised. As I recall York was the first capital of the United States......

I would love to read about doneckers and how it is.  I think it would be a great place to take my parents for a special occasion.  Also, my father drew the picture of the Altland house that is still on it's menu today, although I never ate there

To the post above about fine dining in York, CO.  I think there can be fine dining anywhere, and in a town so rich in history as York I am not at all surprised.  As I recall York was the first capital of the United States......

York is a nice town, but it was not the first capital of the US. It was the capital for a while after the government fled Philadelphia.

"Things are changing for the better in York/Adams Co."

IMO-I think the Hanover has the same problems as many towns. The local government doesn't work well with small businesess which lead them to fend for themselves. They tend to go with building outer areas then realize the downtowns have slowly been dying and go into this "revival" mode.

Recently we were at York's Central Mkt on a Saturday and were shocked at how it was half empty, not crowded like it used to be. It does have a nice new restaurant, in the back- Mezzogiorno.

Sam and Tony's (?) over on Market is good. The have "creativity encouraged" written on the menu.

I went to William Penn High School, my parents still live in York, but they are happy with the chain restaurants, so I don't hear about where to eat anymore except from maybe that Central Penn-which I enjoy reading when I get a chance.

Jennifer

The Eastern mkt seems to ge going on an upswing from what one vendor told me. When I've been-I can't recall any empty stalls there unlike Central. He also has a stand at the Central mkt and said how that one is really sliding. I'm not sure why that is.

There is another very old one I think called Market and Penn over on Market St that is having the same troubles. I really hope they find a way because they are very old and beautiful.

There is another market privately owned out in Shrewsbury that seems to be plugging along.

http://www.marketsatshrewsbury.com/

And a huge market in Thomasville, but that is mostly a flea/antique mkt, a few vegs stands and foods stalls, and a few baked goods.

Jennifer