• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet potato stems

Soup

I just bought a nice size bag of sweet potato stems from the local korean market. The problem is I never prepared sweet potato stems before. I would appreciate any insights into preping the veggie and preparing them (asian recipes are preferred) but I'll take any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Soup

Read this blog entry here, and most of your questions should be answered.

Obviously, how you flavor the greens can be varied according to your taste, but this explains the general treatment required. :smile:

Here's a quick Filipino way to prepare it:

Trim the leaves and new branches of the sweet potato stalks into 2 inch pieces. In a pot, boil some water and cook the greens for about 5 minutes. Drain, pat dry and reserve in a large bowl. In a mixing bowl add 2 tbsps. rice or cane vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon white sugar, a sprinkling of salt and pepper - mix well. Slice up some red onions thinly and mix with cooked greens. Drizzle with the vinarette, cover and let the flavors blend together in the refrigerator for about 15 to 30 minutes. Serve as a side dish to curry or fried, oily dishes (essp. fried fish).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos