• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

outdoor bars?

nicole9s

You're a gulleteer after my own heart. I look for a biergarden/outside bar every Spring. However I think it gets too hot in the summer and obviously too cold in the winter for this to be possible around here.

Here's a beer garden in Queens, NY

http://www.bohemianhall.com/home.htm

I know this not what you want, but here is a list of places with outdoor seating and drink service. *I have not yet checked all of these out personally but I'm working on it!*

Much of Hoboken,

Trackside, Ramsey

Café Matisse, Rutherford

Rebecca's, 236 Old River Road, Edgewater

Le Jardin Restaurant 1257 River Rd, Edgewater

Panevino, Route 10 Livingston

Trattoria Fresco, Caldwell (back patio)

Brady’s, Ramsey

Varka, Ramsey

Oceanos, Fair Lawn

Elysian café, Hoboken

Jefferson’s, Hoboken (patio)

Raymond’s, Montclair

Café Metro, Denville (front porch)

Harvest, Closter

The Porter House 125 N Kinderkamack Rd Montvale

Lighthouse Oyster Bar, Piermont NY

O’Sullivan’s, Jefferson (Burgers and Fries on the water!)

Mahwah Bar & Grill, 2 Island Rd, Mahwah (Route 202)

Just to clarify- unfortunately we don't have a liquor license at Raymond's. We do have outdoor seating and are BYO, also, there is a great wine store- Amanti Vino- next door.

Prospect Tavern in Waldwick...but I am not sure of the "crowd" there...grew up in town but never went in

And on Greenwood Lake....just over the border on Eastshore Rd is Emerald Point with an awsome outdoor bar gazebo

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

That's a great list above. I can only add to some of the North Jersey locations. Rebecca's is a favorite of mine. Just a handful of tables -- very nice. I sit out there because I can smoke a cigar. I haven't been to Le Jardin in quite some time but they had a full blown outside going.

Doesn't the Houlihan's down by the ferry have outdoor seating? I haven't been there in a while either, but they used to have an outdoor bar and seating.

What about the Crab House? Do they do an outdoor deal?

Enjoy and hope you have great weather.

Eric

The Chart House in Weehawkin has a great outdoor area on its pier, but the last time I went there they required dinner service for seating (you couldn't just get drinks alone). Hopefully, that has since changed.

Donovan's in Sea Bright has tiki bars on its beach. Wind-n-Sea in Highlands has a tiki bar on its marina pier.

Waterfront Cafe Steak and Clam House

1 Paterson Plank Rd

Carlstadt nj

waterfrontcafe.net

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

A few comments on places that Beer Gut listed:

The Jefferson (Hoboken) is closed.

Trattoria Fresco (Caldwell) has a lovely back patio, but it's BYO; no bar there.

Iirc, Pazzo Pazzo's bar is inside, but they do have a big patio.

I read the request as being for an outdoor bar. I don't think you'll find a ton of places north of the Jersey Shore with an actual BAR outside. Of course, my first thought was a place in Key West, with the ocean all of 10 feet away, but that's not going to help... :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Waterfront Cafe Steak and Clam House

1 Paterson Plank Rd

Carlstadt  nj

waterfrontcafe.net

tracey

Looks like a good place to NOT go hungry, food looks forgettable.

You might persue Piermont, NY, just 3 miles over the NY border from Jersey with a couple of nice bars out on the Hudson River. Cornetta's and Portofino come to mind.

Prospect Tavern in Waldwick...but I am not sure of the "crowd" there...grew up in town but never went in

And on Greenwood Lake....just over the border on Eastshore Rd is Emerald Point with an awsome outdoor bar gazebo

tracey

Also the Breezy Point Inn on the other side of Greenwood Lake. I seem to remember a Sports Bar in Carlstadt or Woodridge that had a nice bar out back....

In Suffern, Cafe Dolci's outdoor cafe is nice...

With the weather improving and having had a chance to think more about this topic, a wonderful place came to mind. This restaurant has its bar and table seating right out on a deck practically IN the Hudson River. The food is marvelous, creative, and well prepared. New American style. Warm breezes and the lapping water will accompany your food and drink.

The only issue is that it is on the other side of the Hudson... (!) But don't worry, it's only 10 minutes from the TZ Bridge, and definitely worth the trip if the weather is cooperating. Highly recommended.

Blu

100 River St

Hastings on Hudson, NY

Blu Website

the bar on the pier in Point Pleasant Beach leave's you right at the ocean's edge. i was there one day after a storm and the waves were so high we got splashed... plus you can say hi to your friends at the office by waving to them on the Tiki Cam!

www.tikibar.com

the bar on the pier in Point Pleasant Beach leave's you right at the ocean's edge.  i was there one day after a storm and the waves were so high we got splashed... plus you can say hi to your friends at the office by waving to them on the Tiki Cam!

www.tikibar.com

Blend in Ridgewood. And, they make a mean drink, and its heated if necessary, and you can smoke!

Drink? Smoke? If you tell me you are allowed to smoke cigars, count me in -- I'm there!

Eric

for outdoor bars, i personally like the bamboo lounge (or grille). it's located on the grounds of the basking ridge country club, but is open to the public. i wouldn't say it's a major culinary destination, but for a nice, outdoor area that's comfortable, with a bar as well as tables, i think it's pretty solid. they also have live music several days a week.

http://www.bamboo-grille.com/

• 2 weeks later...

pazzo-pazzo does have an outside bar

bamboo in morristown

highlawn-does not have an outdoor bar, just seating

scottys in springfield

houlihans-weehawken

chart house-weehawken

green knoll-bridgewater

kudos for blackthorne in kenilworth, great for happy hour

Edited by tommy g (log)