• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone tried Paco's recipe for caviar from PACO 2?

aidensnd2

Has anyone tried the sugar caviar method from Paco Torreblanco 2? I've only tried it once and it didn't work at all. The sugar syrup while in the oven just kind of melted and formed blobs. I tried a mixture of 50/50 vodka and Chambord. I'm thinking that maybe I need a higher percentage of alcohol. Anyone tried it with any success?

it is interesting that he has you put them back into the oven after filling the starch mold. sort of goes against other advice with regard to super saturated sugar syrups.

i have the book and took a look at the picture. it looks like they're supposed to be caviars with delicate shells that break and ooze the liqueur...is that the effect you're looking for?

it looks like they're supposed to be caviars with delicate shells that break and ooze the liqueur...is that the effect you're looking for?

Yup. It seems like a strange method, but most of the things in that book seem a little strange... Would be cool if I could get them to work. I'm going to try again in a few days with a higher proof liquor and see if that helps any.

Hard to tell without knowing the recipe but if it's a Vernaut process then you should use 40% (vol) liquor. It helps the crystallisation.

May I suggest you drop the chambord for some eau de vie de framboise instead. If you want to enhance the raspberry flavour even more then let a bunch of berries soak in the bottle for a while. The left over berries can be used as praline fillings.

Make sure the powder-box is hot when you mould (about 80C ?) You can help the crystallisation get started by swirling it in the bowl you poured it into after the boiling. (no stirring though or it will become "grainy".)